Question about stress marks

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarrenG

So we’ve got this 5-6 month bearded dragon, Warren G (we were thinking of generic sounding dude names, and my significant other’s last name starts with a G. I said Warren and then thought about it and yelled WARREN G, and that was that. I also love rap, so....), and we’ve had him for 3 months. We impulse purchased him at Petsmart (I know I know, but we bought him because he was in a tank with a half dead dragon and pounding on the tank walls. Couldn’t leave him there!), and despite that he’s been doing really well. I obsessively research everything and took him to the vet immediately, so it wasn’t too long before we got the hang of it all. Tank setup: 40 gallon, basking spot of 105, cool side of 85, 10.0 uvb light, hide, branches, hammock, tile for substrate. He doesn’t drink from the bowl, so I give water on his greens and regular baths. He’s been kind of alternating between crickets and dubias. Eats about 20 to 30 of them in a sitting twice a day. For lunch he has a nice salad of collards or dandelion greens with the occasional little bits of butternut squash, grape or plums. Glad he likes the fruits I like. We can share. Gets calcium/d3 on one meal 5 times a week and a multivitamin a couple times a week. He also really loves the juvenile supplemental red pellet things. Actually he loves all the food, he’s a freaking chonk.

Anyway, he seems all of a sudden not to like his tank. We took him on a little road trip to see my family for the weekend. He hung out on a furry bed on a heat pad on the center console for the car ride, and we just threw his tank in the back of the car to set up when we arrived. He seemed fine on the drive there and back and fine at my parent’s house. When we returned, all of a sudden he constantly has light stress marks. They’re less noticeable when we take him out of his tank to party with us for a bit. You think it’s just stress from the weekend even though he was fine the rest of the time, or is it possible that now since he’s had a taste of the open road, he’d rather have a little more time out of his tank? Or maybe now that he has been away from my dogs for a bit, he’s realized how much he hates them? Any other thoughts? He’s eating fine, so all is good on that front. Just finished a body shed. First timer here, so I was hoping someone could help me out and give my significant other a break from my obsessing. Just wanted to make sure this sounds normal or if I should take him to the vet since it’s been a couple days of stress marks. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB is it a tube or coil and where is it in the tank ? on top of screen or inside
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like you're off to a good start! The road trip may have disoriented him a bit, but as long as he wasn't acting afraid or defensive then he may have enjoyed it. Some of them are pretty good with road trips (my guy is for sure). I wouldn't read too much into the behavior and I find the term stress marks to be misleading. Young dragons tend to have dark lines along their bellies when they darken and this is less prominent as they get older. He may just be darkening up to absorb heat/light while basking in his enclosure. If you can provide some photos of him and his enclosure, we'd be glad to run through everything and make sure it's all just right for him. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

WarrenG

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1kl1x2vc said:
The UVB is it a tube or coil and where is it in the tank ? on top of screen or inside
Karrie

It’s a...tube? It’s not the rounded coil one, it’s the compact tube-y kind? Thanks for the response! He did the weirdest thing earlier, he was leaning up against my boyfriend’s cold beer can, which I thought was weird for a cold blooded reptile, so I found a post on here from another person who said her bearded dragon was looking for cold spots, and some hydration and uvb did the trick. I think maybe is uv bulb had already gone bad even though it had only been a few months, so I changed it out and then also gave him a good soak. Also changed his basking bulb to something a little less hot. Seems happier already. ??‍♀️

WarrenG

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2vg6uh99 said:
It sounds like you're off to a good start! The road trip may have disoriented him a bit, but as long as he wasn't acting afraid or defensive then he may have enjoyed it. Some of them are pretty good with road trips (my guy is for sure). I wouldn't read too much into the behavior and I find the term stress marks to be misleading. Young dragons tend to have dark lines along their bellies when they darken and this is less prominent as they get older. He may just be darkening up to absorb heat/light while basking in his enclosure. If you can provide some photos of him and his enclosure, we'd be glad to run through everything and make sure it's all just right for him. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Thanks for responding! Still trying to get the hang of this site! See my response to other person. I think I may have solved the issue, but stay tuned! If he doesn’t look happier tomorrow, I may be uploading those pics. I’m just terrified that I’m doing a bad job constantly, so I’m very happy to see people have tried to help! I thought having for dogs was hard, but geez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom