Beardies Biting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croberts

So my beardie Lucifer (Lucy) is about 3 months old and always hungry. He gets fed twice a day with crickets and has fresh greens throughout the day (even though he won't eat them). Now my problem is everytime I stick my hand in his enclosure he jumps up at my hand and bites me looking for food. I know it's because he is looking for food cause when he has eaten I can hold him with no problem and he loves being held. Is this something that is happening cause he is so young? Is there a way to disassociate my hand with food so he doesn't keep biting me everytime I put my hand in his enclosure? TIA

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Let me guess , this is the same hand you've just been handing live insects with ?

He can smell the insects smell on your fingers and thinks you have insects in your hand and you are holding out on him. I've had wild skinks and dragon try to eat my fingers / hand for this reason.

Get the insects ready , feed dragon, then wash/wipe hand to get rid in bug-smell on them, you should be fine.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well my first question would be are you feeding him enough. Growing dragons can eat lots of insects it's sometimes surprising. How many crickets would you say he eats per feeding.

I constantly handle bugs and go straight for my dragons without them ever going in for a bite, even if they're hungry. This is because usually I'll prepare their insects first, then grab them to feed then somewhere separate.

It comes down to the dragon learning about you too. If you only try to touch your dragon around feeding, it will associate you with food. Try handling him at random times throughout the day with out feeding him before during or after holding him. Sometimes taming them just takes awhile, sometimes they seem almost tame by character.

-Brandon

Croberts

Original Poster
Thnxs, no i don't think it's because my fingers smell like insects cause he goes after anyone who puts there hand in his enclosure and he does it at anytime throughout the day, someone always has a hand in there. He eat about 20-30 crickets per feeding just depending on the day (40-60 per day). I will keep working with him, may be I will feed him 3 times a day and see if he makes a difference. Thnxs guys

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup, just keep working at it. Some dragons take longer to tame down than others. Keep us posted :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom