Lay Box: To dig or not to dig

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvel

Hi Guys,

I had Swift when she was 6 weeks old and now she’s about 16 months and started scratching a lot lately, so was advised to put a lay box to see if she would dig. Never been with another bd and therefore, if she is gravid, eggs laid would be infertile, which is fine for me.

I’m new to this so any advice would be great. She digs for the most part of the day, and sometimes licks the sand occasionally. I know they need sand (and or top soil) to lay eggs but concerned she might get impacted.
Some people tell me bd will only get impacted if they are not healthy. If I don’t use sand (or soil), how else do bd lay eggs?

Also how long do I keep the lay box in her Vivarium? Looks like she’s having fun.

Before I started to put the laybox in, she slowly loss appetite (now only eating around 8 bsfl per day, and eating veggies sporadically, whereas she used to eat everyday). Weight hasn’t decreased. I’m assuming loss in interest of food is due to wanting to lay eggs?

Temps: 105F at basking area & 80F in cool side during day.
Use a T5 12%UVB.

101380-6080036391.jpg

101380-2403190523.jpg

101380-721637607.jpg

101380-785062081.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like she's enjoying it. Your lighting is good so I wouldn't worry too much about impaction. You may want to move the dig box outside the tank though since they can get pretty messy (as I'm sure you're already starting to see).

williamk34

Hatchling Member
It's good that you have something for them dig dragons in the wild will make their own Burrows in dens it's good for enrichment.
102593-5767824934.jpg
this is my dragons enclosure and she has multiple Burrows

cvel

Original Poster
Wow, looks natural. I like it. I’m too scared to go natural as I have a fear of impaction. Hence why Swift enclosure has that “sterile” look. Too easy to clean stuff from Vinyl flooring :)

Anyway, Swift stopped digging, I guess from being bored or not ready to lay yet. So will take out the lay box for now.

Now she is using her hide more. Also, have slowed down on her eating. Weight still increasing, only slowly though. Brumation? Who knows. After 15 months of looking after her, I still haven’t figured her out yet.

Anyone knows how to make a dragon talk? Would be so much easier lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom