Skittish - To Hold or Not To Hold

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a baby beardie whom we have named Goldfish, who seems very skittish. We brought him home last Thursday and have been feeding him mostly calcium-dusted crickets and some of the dried veggies (slightly re-hydrated) that we bought from the pet store. I was told we should limit the amount of time beardie spends on us/outside the tank. My husband has been holding him once or twice a day and I have been talking and stroking his head a few times a day as well. While he was on the sofa with my hubby 2 days ago, he ran off and was under one of our tables. When my husband walked toward him, he started opening his mouth really wide. He didn't bite and seemed fine when my husband picked him up. Hubby took him back to the tank in case he was getting stressed.
Question 1 -- Is it true that we should keep Goldfish mostly in the tank at this stage? That is what the pet store clerk told me. I thought holding them a little bit more as babies would help them get used to us. Also, what does it mean when he is trying to "climb" the tank walls? I feel like he is not happy and we feel awful that we might be doing something wrong. :/

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He is probably still settling in. As far as handling goes, it varies between them. Some are fine with it and others don't like it. Keep in mind that we are much larger than they are so it can take time for them to be used to us not being a threat. You can try hand feeding treats like black soldier fly larvae and see if that helps. If you are gentile with him I think interacting is a good idea unless he really starts to act scared and defensive a lot. He is likely glass surfing and running around because he is curious. The little guys tend to be very curious and want to run around and explore their environment (even beyond the tank). This is generally OK as long as he is supervised and is in a safe spot with nothing on the floor he can ingest, no areas he can climb into and get stuck, no other animals around etc.

avasgoldfish

Original Poster
Thank you so much for all your help, CooperDragon! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my newbie questions. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I concur …. and what ever you do , NEVER chase him with your hands , he's be traumatized and will only see a looming figure (over him ---- very scary monster = YOU) and terrifying 5 headed snakes after him (your hands).

This is one reason why I recommend front opening vivs , rather the common top opening kits so common in your country (ie fish tanks with mesh lids). Less stressful if you are not compelled to enter the viv from above and can simply slide a glass door open or swing it open and come from the same level as the skittish hatchling.
That said - I used 90L clear sided plastic tubs and then 109L plastic tubs for a long time for rearing young skinks and dragon , and currently have an adult eastern water skink living in a 120L tub.

A trick I use for skittish hatchlings and skinks is to approach the lizard with a long stick , I simply slowly move it towards the lizard if it backs off to the back a tub , and slip one end under the chest of the lizard, they will instinctively hold on with their hands and arms, and then I slowly lift just a little and draw the lizard towards / closer to me so I can deposit it in a small tub or on my open free hand.
Make sure it feels all it's legs and body is supported.
Place your other hand over it and then transfer to your chest or tummy or lap and keep a hand cupped over it.

I find with lizards if you gently rest your wrist on the tail , this will discourage it leaping off.

If it tries to crawl off , place you free hand infront like a barrier.

Start off with a few minutes per day, giving a few bugs by hand at the same time is a good way of getting the lizard to associate coming out and being handled with something it likes (food!!) and a great way build trust and tight bond.

Routine is everything.

And trust building is a slow process that can't be rushed.

avasgoldfish

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice! I wish I had known about the side opening vivs. I will definitely be building one for when he’s ready for an upgrade.
Update on Goldfish ... He was on my arm and then my chest last night and I think he realizes now that we are family. He almost didn’t want to go back in the tank! I’ve been very soft spoken around him and before I approach the tank I make sure to start letting him know I’m on my way. I just talk to him in what I think is a soothing voice and it seems to work. Also, maybe some worms might have sealed the deal for him that I’m here to take care of him. Haha!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
avasgoldfish":291wwbsp said:
Thanks for the advice! I wish I had known about the side opening vivs. I will definitely be building one for when he’s ready for an upgrade.
Update on Goldfish ... He was on my arm and then my chest last night and I think he realizes now that we are family. He almost didn’t want to go back in the tank! I’ve been very soft spoken around him and before I approach the tank I make sure to start letting him know I’m on my way. I just talk to him in what I think is a soothing voice and it seems to work. Also, maybe some worms might have sealed the deal for him that I’m here to take care of him. Haha!

Yes …. that definitely works ….

I do the same and think I've suggested this to others in the past.

Sounds like he's is getting more comfortable with you.

My skinks (Fluffy the eastern water skink, George & Mildred the eastern bluetongue skinks) and Peppa the beardie are all reluctant to go back into their tanks and often object , and since I'm a softy I usually give in and give a little more snuggle time (which might only be a few minutes and this usually does the trick and they are then fine).
They learn very quickly how to manipulate their "keepers" (umm trained hooman slaves).

avasgoldfish

Original Poster
Hahaha! Yes, I’m starting to understand why some have mentioned being slaves to their beardies and in your case, tour skinks too. Haha! Do you have a link to pics of them?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
avasgoldfish":3qic8mbd said:
Hahaha! Yes, I’m starting to understand why some have mentioned being slaves to their beardies and in your case, tour skinks too. Haha! Do you have a link to pics of them?

yes but I don't want to hijack your thread.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
avasgoldfish":3bgfyi4s said:

:)

He's decided to train you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom