Random Blackbeard for no apparent reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elisa

Random Blackbeard for no apparent reason: my 16 month old, Potato, has never shown signs of distress and only shows the black beard when something irritates him (like the dog barking at his glass, etc.) In the past two weeks he has popped out his beard and has turn black for no apparent reason. He is alert and has his head up and looks fine except for the black beard. Is this something I need to be concerned with ? Nothing has changed and temperatures have been the same. Any help greatly appreciate it!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have the dog bothering him a lot or just every so often?
How old is your dragon? They do love to push their beards out randomly & for no apparent
reason to us, but it is sometimes because they are going to shed the face/beard area. It
stretches out the skin in that area. Also, just a morning stretch time for them, when they
are waking up or entertaining themselves.
I like to think that they are just trying to look even more beautiful than they already are! :D
They love to show off.
Blackbearding also occurs when they hit puberty & their hormones are elevated during the
mating season which is early springtime.

Tracie

Elisa

Original Poster
Thanks for your quick reply! Potato is 16 months old. Come to think of it, it may have been in the morning when I noticed the blackness. Also, do you think he is at puberty at this age? And no, the dog has not been in his room when I noticed the blackness. And boy does it get black! He has not shed in a while. He seems rather small but otherwise healthy.

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
This has happened to me before. My beardie is normally super chill but one day his beard went black and he seemed to want out of his cage. An hour later he was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom