If the viv isn't at 105, will it cause irritation for baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 theromstats in Oscar's tank and the temp is only reading 85 to 90. Does the low temp make babies unsettled or irritated? I bought a new bulb to put in his tank tomorrow. I'm hoping it will make him less grumpy.....I'm very new to this and learning all I can to provide the best for the little man.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
If it isn't at least 100 on the direct basking spot it will cause impaction as they wont be able to digest properly and when they cant digest their food, that food rots in their stomach eventually causing impaction.

Is your two new temperature gauges digital with a probe or are they stick on ones with no probe?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would double check the surface temp readings using an IR temp gun like this https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK or by setting up a couple of probes (one for basking surface and one for cool end surface) like these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/ That will give you a better idea of the gradient across the tank as well as the basking surface temperature. You want to provide a basking surface around 100-110 or so as well as cooler areas around 75-80 or so.

OscarLezard18

Original Poster
Oscar's temperatures are much better now. His personality has changed a bit for the better. He's still getting to know me and he moves around more in his tank, which is great. The item I bought is a Reptile Ceramic Heat Lamp, 110V Infrared Heat Emitter Heating Light Lamp. I didn't know it would not have light, which is okay, I guess, but Oscar won't stay under it. He prefers to be under the UVB light now. I just want to do the right thing and I appreciate any and all suggestions to help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are you just using the CHE for heat now? I would put the UVB light right next to the basking light (should be a bright white light during the day) so he can sit under both and get heat and UVB at the same time (they are mixed together in natural sunlight). Think of lighting as trying to imitate sunlight as closely as possible. Going by this, you will want heat and bright light along with fairly intense UVB (at least in part of the tank).

OscarLezard18

Original Poster
I had a 50 watt basking bulb and a uvb bulb. The 50 wasn't enough and I ordered that heat lamp, not realizing it wasn't a light. To fix this fiasco, I'll buy him a 100 watt bulb for basking and heat and save the heat lamp for a bigger tank......I read somewhere that if the light is too hot, it may damage his eyes. Is that true?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If the light is too hot it won't provide a proper heat gradient across the tank. As long as the lighting is overhead and well out of reach then it shouldn't cause a problem. Lighting that is an odd color (red, purple, etc) can cause vision problems after a while. Your best bet is to get a higher wattage halogen bulb so you can either raise/lower it to adjust temperature or set it on a dimmer. You may need to try some different wattages before you find what gets closest in your enclosure (it varies between setups) but once you have a wattage that works you will only need to fine tune output once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom