Should I be concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
So Saturn seems to still be in burmation, he only basks if I make him. He'll come out on his own, but only to eat a few veggies and then right back into the cave he goes to nap.
It's a bit concerning knowing that he's basically been in burmation since September, for a few weeks in January he came out and was quite active, head bobbing, black bearding and feet stomping at Venus, who encouraged it until I put something up so they couldn't see each other. He still remained pretty active even after that, which i expected but for the past week or two he's just napping all day long.

I'll be talking with my mom soon about taking him to get a fecal test done, just in case it's parasites. Which I have a feeling it might be, I also have to take in my juvenile Neptune in for a fecal test as well most likely. Her poop lately has been quite watery.
Might also see about taking them to a proper reptile vet as theres a few in my area and currently they've only had a exotic vet. Luckily a good one, somewhat. They did mark my tegu as a iguana on the first visit with her... which I wasn't too surprised, I mean a little bit but Ive had people even call Saturn a gecko and a iguana before.

The vet may be a bit expensive for us currently if both need it, but top priority is Saturn currently as Neptune acts completely fine. With the tube light situation we're currently in (4 bulbs came broken over the span of a month until I decided to go with arcadia's 14% bulbs as they at least put fragile on the packaging, we're in the process of shipping them back for a refund) it may be a bit expensive, as I also had to buy some food for Oreo (tegu) so she had more bones in her diet as she's not fond of whole prey yet so having organs, bones and the ground food all in one really helps, it should also help adding more fruit to her diet as well. Which that was quite expensive because I had to have at least 10 pounds of meat in the cart before checking out.

Its about 20 dollars for a fecal test, and 8 dollars for meds at the exotic vet for one. Which is around 48-56 dollars depending on if both or only one needs the meds. I'll probably just work on getting Saturn to the vet first unless you guys have any idea whats wrong with him.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds like a pretty reasonable price for the tests compared to what I've seen so that's good at least. How is his weight holding up? It's possible he just wants to sleep a bit more and that's OK as long as he is maintaining a relatively stable weight. If his weight is dropping then something else is probably up and a vet visit might be a good idea.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
His weight seems to be good, only dropped once but that was at the start in September when he had a high count of pinworms and then once that got treated he gained his weight back and hasn't dropped to the 400's at all since then.

It's a bit of a relief knowing that it could be him just wanting to sleep more.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Wow, only $20?! I have to pay $35, and that's the cheap option. At another exotic vet hospital, it cost like$60.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It really varies a lot depending on where you are. It's not the vets being shady necessarily. The cost of running a shop just varies a lot across the country. The fortunate thing is that with vets (unlike most doctors) they tend to have set prices so you can call ahead and ask how much an exam will cost, how much a fecal test or a blood panel will cost etc. so you can plan and budget accordingly. It always helps to have an emergency fund stashed away for vet care if you can swing it though. Takes a lot of stress away from an often stressful situation.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
I know. I just found it kind of weird to be so much higher since I'm not in CA or something like that where prices on everything are through the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom