Beardie not wanting the light or warmth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora7R

Over the past 5-8 days, my beardie has been acting strangely. He's still eating, but he seems to be eating a little bit less, also as soon as I put his bugs in, he isn't super excited and jumping crazy for them like usual. He's usually so excited he knocks the container out of my hand before I can dump them in his bowl. Now he just looks at them for a while then finally eats them. Also, I've been having to move him to his basking spot because even when I turn his lights on in the morning, he stays where he is. A few hours will go by and he didn't move to his basking spot, so I had to move him there because he was ice cold. Then he will either move to under the spot, where I'd assume it's warmer than the colder side but still the light isn't hitting him so I don't know... or back over to the colder side and go to sleep like really early before his usual bed time. Usually he doesn't want to sleep and is wide awake until I turn his lights off. Now he seems ready for bed at 6 PM. Could it be the fact that it's about to be November and it gets darker outside earlier now? I guess it's somewhat colder outside but for some strange reason we're still in the 70 degree weather most days here in PA.

And finally, now when I go to move him to the basking spot because I'm worried, he gets really mad and puffs his beard out so I just let him stay... but I'm worried he will get sick from being so cold so long. He won't let us pick him up at all anymore. He seems very irritated. :(

What's going on with him?

By the way, I got him in January and he was about as tiny as my finger, so I am guessing he wasn't very old. I don't know much about brumation but could it possibly be that? This is my first bearded dragon. His temperatures are the same.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They tend to go through phases like that sometimes when they act a bit sluggish and tired. It's not necessarily a full brumation but a slowdown period. Keep his lights and food on the same schedule but let him do his thing. Keep track of his weight to be sure that's stable. What are the surface temps on the cold side of the tank? If they're around 75-80 or so during the day he will be fine. He will move to the hotter area if he wants to as long as it's easily accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom