2 Questions: Activity and Closed Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwood

Hi there! I got my very own beardie about two weeks ago and I'm still learning the ropes. Jupie is a young male somewhere between 1 and 2 years old, super friendly and patient and 10/10 in the sassy looks department. Now that he's gotten more settled, he's been pretty active and wants to run around and explore quite a bit. I've been thinking of getting him some sort of leash and harness ensemble so I can take him out more, are there any commercially available/has anyone had any success in making one? Also, what are some other forms of enrichment I could provide for him, like good toys or games?

One other thing I've been wondering about is his habit of closing his eye/s while being pet. I'm tempted to interpret it as a sign he's comfortable with being touched, but that might be a mammalian view of a reptile behavior. Does anyone know what this might mean?

here is a photo for good measure:
94195-1576743159.jpg

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Welcome to the wonderful world of bearded dragons. :D

It looks and sounds like you've got yourself a wonderful new friend, and yes, they are famous for giving you "The Look".

There is some debate over what it means when they close their eyes -- sometimes they're just falling asleep. It has been said that the best way to tell if they're happy and comfortable is by their color and their breathing -- they will turn a lighter color and their breathing will be relaxed.

We haven't tried putting a leash on our beardie. Here in Alaska, there aren't very many days out of the year that are warm enough to take him outside anyway. But there are others on this forum who have tried it and should be able to tell you what has worked for them. Enrichment has also been discussed here before, but it will be interesting to see what kind of current opinions you get about that.

Our beardie is something of a couch potato, and most of our attempts at enrichment have not been particularly appreciated. For example, my husband once found an app that would display bugs crawling around on his iphone, and he would hold it up for our beardie to see, and we'd get "The Look" like "So what? Am I supposed to be impressed?"

Maybe others will have some better ideas that will work for your beardie...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
redwood":vwetzq1p said:
Hi there! I got my very own beardie about two weeks ago and I'm still learning the ropes. Jupie is a young male somewhere between 1 and 2 years old, super friendly and patient and 10/10 in the sassy looks department. Now that he's gotten more settled, he's been pretty active and wants to run around and explore quite a bit. I've been thinking of getting him some sort of leash and harness ensemble so I can take him out more, are there any commercially available/has anyone had any success in making one?
I can't really let my pet lizards free range in our back or front yards, because we have too many dogs around us (especially next door = 6-8 big not very friendly dogs who will kill anything they can catch), and free roaming cats, and predatory birds (kookaburras, crows, ravens, hawks, magpies, seagulls, and fish and wedgetailed eagles).
My gang do get daily free range time inside the approved areas of our house and love it. They also love to look through the front window (same height and length as our front entry door) and they love watching tv .
I saw someone suggest using loop to tie a trailing length of wool from the lizard's hips ,if it disappears under or behind some furniture the trailing wool strand will review where he Is.
Harnesses , check Etsy.

Also, what are some other forms of enrichment I could provide for him, like good toys or games?

Toys : paper tubes , boxes (to explore) , bubble wrap on the floor, rastly crinkly paper sheets, toss him the occasional meal worm or superworm (this gets them going and are soon watching you like a hawk in anticipation of another) , ping pong balls (too big to swallow), a window to look through, tv on (my gang enjoy wildlife docs and action movies (slice and dice).

One other thing I've been wondering about is his habit of closing his eye/s while being pet. I'm tempted to interpret it as a sign he's comfortable with being touched, but that might be a mammalian view of a reptile behavior. Does anyone know what this might mean?

<<< if he's showing his happy colours, pancakes, breaths very slowly and shallowly, and does the bum wriggle and goes all floppy , you know he is enjoying it. Closing his eyes ==> I trust you.

here is a photo for good measure:
94195-1576743159.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom