My cat stalks my baby beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a border collie-Swiss mountain dog mix, a black short haired cat, and a 3 1/2 month old bearded dragon. My dog doesn't at all mind the bearded dragon, but my cat stalks my beardie from my bed. During the night, while my beardie tries to go to sleep, my cat actually puts her front paws on the glass of the terrarium and starts to follow him around the cage. My bearded dragon backs up, throws out his darkened bearded, opens his mouth and starts to hiss. Whenever I see my cat doing this, I pick her up and put her back on the bed. Even after that, she stares at my bearded from the bed. Is there a way I can keep my cat from traumatizing my bearded dragon?

charmander16

Juvie Member
Close the door and put her out of the room. Cats and lizards don't mix. Unless it happens to be a cat that doesn't do such things (we have an older timid cat that doesn't do this type of stuff, won't even pay attention to a moving string, etc.) then they cats can't really be in the same room with lizards(or other small animals).

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yes, do NOT allow this to continue. It will stress your dragon severely . Stress causes parasite activity in dragons and can kill them.
It would be best to remove the cat from his view and never let the cat near him ever again.
There are rare (weird) cats that don't care about or bother dragons but, one day even those cats can or will snap! Cats are very dangerous to small animals because of their true nature. They kill for the shear joy of killing, they maime and torture their prey to death.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
charmander16":29phuubk said:
Close the door and put her out of the room. Cats and lizards don't mix. Unless it happens to be a cat that doesn't do such things (we have an older timid cat that doesn't do this type of stuff, won't even pay attention to a moving string, etc.) then they cats can't really be in the same room with lizards(or other small animals).
... NO SUCH THING as a lizard safe cat .... they will all attack , torture and kill lizards given the chance .... no iffs , no buts.

Keep the cat locked up in a cage or another room while little beardie is out of it's viv , AND NEVER EVER ALLOW the cat access to the room where the viv is kept.

Also if you have one of those silly glass fishtank with mesh lid type vivs, you need to make that cat proof by ditching the mesh lid and replacing it with a solid timber (plywood) lid as cats are known to lift or break through mesh lids and only need to get one arm in to be able to hook the defenseless hatchling with a claw and if this happens , it's not going to end happily for the lizard.

Don't let the cat anywhere near the viv , it will stress the hatchling just seeing , hearing and smelling the cat.

SgtAnarchy

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the feedback. I have since waited to let my bearded dragon fall asleep before I let my cat in. Now my cat has noticed him in there because he doesn't move around. For whatever reason though, she doesn't stalk him during the day. That's most likely because most cats hunt during the night I suppose.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
SgtAnarchy":7dibv018 said:
Thanks for all of the feedback. I have since waited to let my bearded dragon fall asleep before I let my cat in. Now my cat has noticed him in there because he doesn't move around. For whatever reason though, she doesn't stalk him during the day. That's most likely because most cats hunt during the night I suppose.
This is still a bad situation.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The cat knows he's there .... and will try to get into the viv to get him out and to kill him. Cats hunt and kill day and night, they are opportunistic killers/predators . You can't train this out of them either , they just become sneakier.

Cat MUST NEVER be allowed access to the room where his viv is , this is a FOREVER thing , else cat WILL kill him given the opportunity. NO IFFS NO BUTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom