New Beardy all of a Suddon Scared of me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmy has been with me since Monday and everything has been great! Yesterday we took him to the vet just for a physical because where I got him from a pet store. His belly was spotty yesterday and today is white again, probably was just the stress of being out in the car and getting poked by a random person.

Today I did everything normal, woke up turnt his lights on let him chill for a hour and brought him out to feed and run around on the floor. He dident want to eat which was fine was not to concerned it was kinda early. After putting him back in for a couple hours i went to takw him out again to feed and he was really skiddish of my hand so naturally I wanted to let him chill out for a bit.. I sat on my bed and was watching him and him watching me and all of a suddon his beard puffs out... kinda reminded me of a cat puking by the look of it...

Could he be sick? Or just in a mood? Could it be because I had the ultraviolet light on today along with the uvb and the basking (was just to bring the temp up, with the 2 lights its between 90 and 100 but with all the lights its 100 to 110). Should i be doing things different?

Mysty

Juvie Member
A brand new uv tube emits sporadically for a while. This can cause them to flip out but the light will settle within a few days.

AlexZander

Original Poster
Mysty":2exaqqaq said:
A brand new uv tube emits sporadically for a while. This can cause them to flip out but the light will settle within a few days.

So should i just leave him for the night besids trying to feed him? The light is new, all lights are. Or should i keep trying every now and then to pick him up?

AlexZander

Original Poster
Also just realized my curtain was closed for the majority of the day, just opened it and Jimmy went right into where the light was. Could that have been another possibility for his weird behavior today? The curtain is usually open a bit most days.

Thanks to anyone who replies anyone gives me some ideas!!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
If you had a color emitting bulb on in addition to his basking and UV bulb, it may have changed how he perceives the environment and freaked him out. Dragons do have full color vision, even seeing UV lights, and another color (presuming purple bulb) could have distorted what he was seeing. If you need another way of heating the enclosure, we recommend a ceramic heat emitter. It puts out heat with no light, often recommended to keep night temps up in a chilly house that gets under 65 degrees.

From your description of the beard puffing where it looked like "a cat throwing up", was he fluffing his beard? Aka, was it puffed and he was flipping it upward?
This is often a bearded dragon way of "yawning" or loosening up the skin for an upcoming shed and is generally nothing to be concerned about. My dragons do this several times a day, especially my big boy that is shedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom