Behavior Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my little dude, Tarragon, for about a month. He was a little thin when I brought him home but it didn't take long to get him happy and healthy. I went out of town for 3 days and had my roommate watch him. Ever since I got back, his behavior is completely different. Hides more often, won't bask if people are around, freaks out and hides if I approach his enclosure. He puffs up if I try to hold him, which he's never done before. I asked my roommate if anything happened while I was gone and she said no, except that one day the temperature got a bit high and he never ate his veggies (he almost never does). Should I take him to the vet to make sure he's ok or just leave him alone for a few days?

Photos from the day I brought him home
92080-9598261844.jpg
92080-4358493532.jpg

nicoled825

Original Poster
Thanks! Hot side is set to 100-110 degrees at his highest basking point (it's a deep cage so towards the bottom it's about 95-100), cool side is between 80-90. Humidity fluctuates a lot since I live in Atlanta and the weather can't seem to make up its mind, but I do my best to keep it close to 30. He has a fake plant that he loves (on the cool side) and plenty of climbing and hiding places. Always access to veggies, water, and worms. I give him dusted crickets about twice a week.

Also here he is in his tree
92080-5331377014.jpg

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Thanks for answering. What kinds of lights and brands? How close can he get to the uvb light? How are the temps on his basking spot? Also his cool side is too hot. Needs to be in high 70s.

nicoled825

Original Poster
Ah ok, I'm not entirely sure how to cool the cool side down, I don't have any heating units on that side. I have a long, 18 inch UBV light placed in the middle so it can reach as much of the terrarium as possible. In his tree, he can get about 10 inches from the light fixture. I'm not totally sure on the brands of lights, I don't have the boxes anymore, but what do you recommend?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Tonight , when the lights have all been turned off and have cooled , take the bulbs out and read the information printed on them.

Really need to the following ;
>>> is it a coloured globe ?
>>> is it a Mercury Vapour Bulb ? or a Halogen spot bulb ? or a incandescent spot bulb ? or a infrared bulb ? or other ?
>>> it's brand name ?
>>> what is it's wattage ?
>>> how far is it's lowest surface from the basking spot ?

type of UV source.
>>> is it a curly compact bulb ?
>>> is it the Mercury Vapour Bulb (above)
>>> is it a T8 tube ?
>>> is it a T5 tube ?
>>> is the this mounted ontop of a mesh cage/tank top ?
>>> in a dome reflector or a reflector hood ?
>>> is there a plastic screen over the tube ?
>>> is it rated at least 10% UVB ?
>>> how far is it from the basking spot ?
>>> what brand name is it ? (IMPORTANT as some brands are outright rubbish and dangerous to your hatchling.)

Temperatures
>>> how are you measuring these ?
Show us a photo of the thermometer.

I recommend a cool zone temperature for your hatchling about 82F during the day. And no cooler than 75F overnight.

jayce82

Juvie Member
another issue is you are not dusting your crickets enough. you need to dust with calcium 5 days a week and vitamins 2 days a week. how many feeders are you feeding a day?

nicoled825

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay in response, I appreciate everyone's feedback! I'm having trouble uploading the picture I took of his habitat, but here's the information I gathered about the lights:

UVB light is Zilla brand, 18" desert 50, 15 watts
Heat light is exo terra 150 watts

I typically drop 10-15 dusted crickets in the enclosure every few days. He'll eat about 5 right away and finish the rest over the next couple of days. A problem I have with the crickets is that they also like to hide in the fake tree that my beardie loves so much, but they hide at the base so it's impossible to see them. I have to shake the leaves to get them out.

As soon as I get this picture to upload, I will post it for reference

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a nice enclosure! How tall is it? It looks like the distance to the basking area from the UVB light might be too far for a T8 in which case I advise moving to a T5 which is much stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom