Excessive Glass Surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annthom92

My baby Bowser is approx 9months. Today I have noticed excessive Glass Surfing and I'm worried.

He ate really well
Had a bath
He pooped
We went for a car ride
He free roamed

Put him back in the tank and continued glass surfing. Took him out and free roamed for like 30mins, back in the tank and more glass surfing, held him for like 5mins then he kept running everywhere, back in the tank more surfing.
He pauses every few minutes and then continues.

What's wrong? What am I doing wrong? Plz help

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
what size vivarium do you have him in? it is possible he has outgrown his home, or there could be a problem with lighting.

he could also just have the zoomies! there are times that mine just wants to be out of the viv and zooming around doing his own thing.

Annthom92

Original Poster
hdochow":3vfkclti said:
what size vivarium do you have him in? it is possible he has outgrown his home, or there could be a problem with lighting.

he could also just have the zoomies! there are times that mine just wants to be out of the viv and zooming around doing his own thing.

He has tons of space! He's had the zoomies before but not on this level
111759-9802379999.jpg
111759-8394274735.jpg

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i always thought zoomies were just an exaggeration until i saw it happen in real life!

what type of uvb are you using? i'm not seeing a long tube fixture. that could also be what's going on, but i'm not a lighting guru, so it would be better for you to wait on input from those that know better.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If there is a coil UVB in the tank that is more than likely the issue- it would look like this
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-mini-cfl.html
You need a long tube fixture like this 24" https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html
what are your basking temps and how are you taking them? For a juvie / adult dragon temps should be 95-100 taken w/a digital probe thermometer -- once we get lighting ruled out then if hes still doing it we need to figure out something else - but the lighting is the most important thing in that tank -

Annthom92

Original Poster
My tank opens from the top. I use the dome fixture. I have always used this type of light/fixture. I had beardies yrs ago in this exact same tank with similar types of bulbs and fixtures. This is the 1st time I've had a beardie act like this. I honestly don't think it's the lighting.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If your using a coil UVB they are inadequate and should not be used --- they are NO good and will cause all kinds of health problems
if it looks like this https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-mini-cfl.html they are the worst ----
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom