Aggressive bearded dragon

Have any questions about one of the many subtle behaviors a beardie has? Ask and discuss it here!

Aggressive bearded dragon

Postby Piccassofantasy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:31 am

Is it normal for a 3 month old vearded dragon to bite all the time? I’ve had her since she was a hatchling and handle her all the time. But it’s almost like she become more aggressive since I got her from the pet store!! I’m out of ideas on what to do and am struggling here, any advice?
Piccassofantasy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Aggressive bearded dragon

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:58 am

What size tank do you have her in? Can you post pics of your tank and lighting- when someone says "pet store" we think the worst
thanks Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Aggressive bearded dragon

Postby Foxxy76 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:52 pm

Also could you post your beardie's diet (crickets/roaches/greens) and supplement (calcium and vitamins) regiment? That might help too!
User avatar
Foxxy76
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Re: Aggressive bearded dragon

Postby Drache613 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:56 pm

Moved by Moderator from General to Behavior
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 38248
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: Aggressive bearded dragon

Postby Piccassofantasy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:05 pm

Foxxy76 wrote:Also could you post your beardie's diet (crickets/roaches/greens) and supplement (calcium and vitamins) regiment? That might help too!

My bearded dragon is given as many crickets as she can eat for about 5 minutes and a handful of greens everyday. Her living quarters aren’t the best, unfortunately I was told to put her in a sand substrate by the pet store (Living on the edge until I can afford to buy reptile carpet) and she is in a slightly big cage for her current size.
Piccassofantasy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 am

Re: Aggressive bearded dragon

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:10 pm

What size tank? Are you going to upgrade? Paper towels is better substrate than sand--- please dont get anymore advice from the petstore- these people kill more dragons than you know-- they dont know anything about them unless they actually own them and are experienced with them--- please post pics of your tank so we can better help you-- go to top of page click on User Image Unloader- down load pics-- click reply - go to top of message box click on XIMG - pics should post thank you

Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Aggressive bearded dragon

Postby Piccassofantasy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:16 pm

KarrieRee wrote:What size tank do you have her in? Can you post pics of your tank and lighting- when someone says "pet store" we think the worst
thanks Karrie

The pet store had her in a 10 gallon terrarium with 2 other babies. My little girl is missing 4 toes and the tip of her tail. They sold me one of those kits that has “everything” in it. I was super upset to find out that it was a $200 peice of junk, so I am slowly replacing stuff as I can afford to do so. She has three 150 watt UVB bulbs spread out at the top of her cage (currently working on replacing with a tube) and 98 degree basking spot (I tried keeping it at 115 but she refused to go over to the basking area) She’s very high maintence and starting to stress me out with her odd behavior, constant biting, and refusal to interact with her enviroment.
Piccassofantasy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Aggressive bearded dragon

Postby Piccassofantasy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:20 pm

KarrieRee wrote:What size tank? Are you going to upgrade? Paper towels is better substrate than sand--- please dont get anymore advice from the petstore- these people kill more dragons than you know-- they dont know anything about them unless they actually own them and are experienced with them--- please post pics of your tank so we can better help you-- go to top of page click on User Image Unloader- down load pics-- click reply - go to top of message box click on XIMG - pics should post thank you

Karrie

I am on vacation with my family and will try to get pictures of the tank when I go home tomorrow. Thank you so much for helping!!
Piccassofantasy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 am

Re: Aggressive bearded dragon

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:13 pm

That tank is probably to hot--- you only need one basking spot 90-105--- ughhh - the petstore-- has done it again-- bad advice---- you need to get this for your beardie a UVB a Reptison 10.0 T 5 plus fixture or a Arcadia 10.0 T 5 both are very good if you get the T 8 it would need to be changed out every 6 months placed inside tank approx 10 -11 inches from basking spot for the T 5 ---6-8 inches for the T 8--- this is another reason for the agression--- but please get a infrared heat gun from Walmart or home Depot or Lowe's for around $10--- it will give you the most accurate basking temp-- once you get the lighting fixed in her tank you will see a big difference in her behavior--- tell your parents to shut those 150 bulbs off but leave basking one alone---- she's over heating!!!
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Aggressive bearded dragon

Postby Piccassofantasy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:12 am

KarrieRee wrote:That tank is probably to hot--- you only need one basking spot 90-105--- ughhh - the petstore-- has done it again-- bad advice---- you need to get this for your beardie a UVB a Reptison 10.0 T 5 plus fixture or a Arcadia 10.0 T 5 both are very good if you get the T 8 it would need to be changed out every 6 months placed inside tank approx 10 -11 inches from basking spot for the T 5 ---6-8 inches for the T 8--- this is another reason for the agression--- but please get a infrared heat gun from Walmart or home Depot or Lowe's for around $10--- it will give you the most accurate basking temp-- once you get the lighting fixed in her tank you will see a big difference in her behavior--- tell your parents to shut those 150 bulbs off but leave basking one alone---- she's over heating!!!
Karrie

Thank you!!
Piccassofantasy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 am

Re: Aggressive bearded dragon

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:27 am

She needs a cool side of tank around 80 and 70 at nite -- no lower than 65 at nite
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Aggressive bearded dragon

Postby Piccassofantasy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:28 pm

KarrieRee wrote:She needs a cool side of tank around 80 and 70 at nite -- no lower than 65 at nite
Karrie

She is much happier now, and did not bite me when I went to pick her up, She didn’t even darken her beard!! It was amazing, i don’t think I’ve ever seen her with anything but a fully black beard :)
[Click image to enlarge]
Piccassofantasy
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:12 am

Re: Aggressive bearded dragon

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:31 pm

Good to hear-- did you get the lighting replaced and fixed in her tank--- ? You will notice a big difference in her behavior w/ the correct lighting and she will be healthier--
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Behavior

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Trogdorsaurus