Our beardie and 2 new cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron775

Hi,

We've just adopted two cats, and it's their first day here with us, however, our beardie is well aware we have 2 new additions to the household and he's not a happy boy! he's head bobbing, black beard, scratching at the glass, and hitting his face on the glass a bit which is a bit concerning!

Any helpful suggestions to help calm him down?

The cats are well behaved and not teasing him in any way.

Thanks!

SDragon

Juvie Member
Can you cover the sides of the viv so he doesn't have to worry about seeing them from all sides? (Ignore this if its not an all glass cage) does he have plenty of cover in there.

I'd train the cats to stay well away. They might not be teasing, but it makes sense he should fear them. It's also worth ensuring they don't start to take too keen an interest in him down the line.

It might also just take a little time.

aaron775

Original Poster
SDragon":hbq8zvir said:
Can you cover the sides of the viv so he doesn't have to worry about seeing them from all sides? (Ignore this if its not an all glass cage) does he have plenty of cover in there.

I'd train the cats to stay well away. They might not be teasing, but it makes sense he should fear them. It's also worth ensuring they don't start to take too keen an interest in him down the line.

It might also just take a little time.

Yeah I ended up covering half the glass with a blanket and cats are now in another room, guess it makes sense he feels threatened. Our beardie is in a wooden viviarium with glass doors, do you think covering half of the front with some type of material would be a good idea? I don't want to fully cover up his view because he likes to people watch :)

We'll give it a bit of time and see how things go, thanks for your reply

SDragon

Juvie Member
Yeah I'd certainky wan to avoid covering up his viv totally, I'd give up the cats before that tbh.

Doing half the viv in the short term whilst you train them might help, he may also just need to get used to it a bit and be fine soon, how is he doing now?

I'd keep an eye on temps if you do, however in a wooden viv it should be fine.

Also and apologies if you had no intention of this, but please don't introduce cats and lizards to each other. I know there are some 'cute' pictures of people's lizards and cats together but imo it is a recipe for disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom