Does anyone else’s dragon have a death wish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Marlow has been with us about 5-6 weeks now. He was in a very small viv for a beardie before we adopted him (18” squared) and didn’t have a background.
His first viv with us last month was a 3ft x 18” x 18” and had a 3D foam rock background - well he would attempt to eat it occassionally and would end up a foam on his beard spikes and come out looking like I was baby proofing his spikes so I removed the background. He’s been a climber from the day we got him too but never to the top of the rock wall. He has resin tree branches and logs he can climb but he just always looks for trouble with his cheeky mountain climber attitude.
Then we got a new viv 4ft x 2ft x 2ft and I thought given the extra space I’d give him ago with a background again and went an brought one - he hasn’t attempted to eat this one so I thought all was well until today... he climbed it - to the top - and fell from the 2ft up mark! Luckily I had the viv door open at that exact moment and someway , somehow - caught him just before he hit the ground!
Needless to say - I removed the background and he will never again have one.
Now he is sulking that his career as a mountain climber is officially over

Viv with suicide wall
101427-8531154012.jpg
And sulking dragon now wall is gone
101427-2489327747.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are climbers for sure. They also don't tend to worry or consider falling very much. Cooper used to go flying off of my lap onto the floor when he was a little guy. Darwin doesn't have any fear of jumping from the sofa either sometimes although he has adapted this slow slide that he does and it makes his descent a bit more reasonable =). They can hurt themselves doing this though so it's good to have cushion like carpet or fleece down where they tend to jump.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yeah i decided the injury risk was too high to risk it after he was lucky he was caught an inch from the ground.
I miss the look of the background but I feel much more at ease not having the worry of him getting injured

jongupeu

Dubu used to try to shoot straight off my bed any chance that I gave him :roll: Once he did, he fell on the floor and stayed there for a while in shock and when I put him back in his tank, he immediately hid in his cave for the rest of the night.

Needless to say, he's fine now and he's a lot more cautious about where he jumps off of

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
It amazes me how these little daredevils survive in the wild with, no fear of heights, no depth perception and, the thoughts in their little heads that they can fly, LOL!!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":2gqg3yi4 said:
It amazes me how these little daredevils survive in the wild with, no fear of heights, no depth perception and, the thoughts in their little heads that they can fly, LOL!!!

They do leap off termite mounds, boulders , tree stumps, fallen tree limbs and timber farm fence post up to 4 ft to the ground , but are usually landing on long grass or leaf litter so it's quite forgiving to them.

As a kid I had some holidays in the bush (outback) a small country town (Mudgee or Ulan) and also holidayed at Tamworth .
I often went exploring following dirt roads/ tracks and farm fences and regularly encountered eastern bearded dragon on the top of fence posts or tree stumps who would duely pretend they were a part of the post / stump and I could literally walk right up to the dragon (slowly and quietly) and then reach out and pat it or pick it up off the perch it was on. Only then would it react (usually by tail swinging and looking at me with a big open mouth which soon closed when it realized I was not going to harm it.
When I put dragon back it usually leapt off and sometimes did the dragon two legged run …. looked funny but moved fast too , coming back the next day , and the same dragons would be back on their fav post or stump .

I also worked as a consulting engineer in QLD, NT, WA and SA , and had long contracts 6mnths or longer at process plants in the remote areas of WA & SA , and even more recently since retiring I'd done the Grey Nomad thing (4x4 road / fishing adventure camping adventures).
As an adult I've been more inclined to observe and maybe maybe toss a few mealworms or superworms to the wild dragons and maybe take a photo or two. The above behavior is common to all the wild beardies I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom