spoiled dragon and new pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
86850-2256427165.jpg

And now for the spoiled part.

I think I may have over protected my little one when he was a baby. When he was a little one, because I have other pets, I never allowed him on the floor by himself. I took him out every day for cuddles, walks around the neighborhood, and out and about with me to run errands,for sunshine and socialization. As a result, he is very well socialized, and loves people. But I think he's afraid of everything else.

I only recently, once he came out of his winter slowdown started letting him onto the floor; and at first he panicked, and ran right back to me, every time. Now he explores pretty well, but I can't help but wonder did I make him more afraid of playing on the floor?

Bath's are anther thing. When he was little, I had a baby bath for him, and then the kitchen sink. That is what he is used to, he has his routine, that's what he expects. Then I heard about dragons that loved to swim and play in the bathtub, and I thought Linus might like it.

Not a chance. Not even a little. The second he felt the water getting a little deeper than he was used to, he scampered right back to me in a panic. I even got into the water with him, to show him its ok, and let him lay on my arm. As soon as I moved my arm away, he moved as fast as he could back onto my arm and up my shoulder. Again I wonder, did I deprive Linus of a chance for enrichment? IS there anything I can do to help him learn to enjoy different experiences?

Any thoughts?

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't think it's possible to "spoil" anything with too much love, and it sounds like you've been taking very good care of your beardie. :D

I don't think playing around on the floor is essential to their well being; in fact, it can sometimes be unsafe for them. They seem to like their familiar surroundings and routines, and too many new experiences can sometimes cause more stress than enrichment.

Bath water shouldn't be deeper than a few inches, so that they can touch bottom with their feet and still have their head above water. Some will still put their head in the water and "swim", but most will get frightened if the water is too deep; that's pretty normal. They're desert critters so they're not really wired for swimming in deep water.

So I don't think you've deprived your beardie of anything he really needs by so-called "spoiling" him. No need to feel guilty if you just keep protecting him like you've always done :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom