Banjo the beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I adopted Banjo a few weeks ago, he appeared to be trying to recover from stress, but kept stressing so I figured I could give him a better life.

So far, he is doing amazing! I love his quirks and adventurousness! He always pushes his paper towel aside to poop right on th glass ( every single time!). Of course he does the dragonly 'has to lick everything I run up to' thing but also licks my hand when I reach in to pet/pick him up. He's caught onto grabbing onto my arm when he comes out of the tank 8) , come out for sometimes hours on end and then it takes the forces of the gods to get him back into his tank lol, I think he just really enjoys being out with me. I can't wait till summer to take him outside for playtime! Banjo can be quite clumsy sometimes, miscalculating the jumps distance for his leaps of faith. He can also be found running full blast and lunging at white walls sometimes :lol: so I've put up some towel/blanket barriers because his nose is still healing from previous glass rubbing in a small terrarium.

His favourite foods are hornworms ( he will jump 10+ inches to get to them before I can get them in his bowl) blueberries, grandmas garnden fresh kale and strawberries. Still trying new foods. He doesn't care much for apples or carrots, and will usually eat around them on his dish, the little bugger. He's on a regular staple of super worms and salad daily. Tomorrow we try boiled lentils! I don't think he will be thrilled about them, but if I mix them with blueberries I think I can trick him to try some. There's always the trusted baby spoon that I have that is his favourite, I can get him to gobble up everything I serve on in!

Here's Banjo during run around time. He decided that he would do about 10 laps around the room stopping at his basking spot to warm up each lap for about 30seconds and would take off on another lap. He's so funny sometimes and I think he is a happy beardie!
89778-476049972.jpg
89778-6911500958.jpg

Carmalitaaa

Original Poster
Well, you get what you pay for in light bulbs for sure. I got one of the store brand basking uva bulbs from the store and after bringing it home I saw reviews were terrible. They all said it burnt out in two weeks, and mine just burnt out this morning :( . At least I got about a months use instead, but I'm never going cheap again. I'm going to go and get a better light bulb for him today, so he won't be without it for long, and he does have a reptisun 10.0 and infrared for heat in the meantime.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
The reptisun 10.0 is a good thing to have, especially if it's the linear tube type, the infrared not so much. A white light would be better for heat, but as long as you're getting the UV from the reptisun, anything that adds enough heat along with some extra white light to the mix should be good enough.

Most of us have been through several different types of light bulbs before we found the ones that work best for us and our beardies :)

Carmalitaaa

Original Poster
Yeah I ended up picking up a new bulb within hours of the old basking bulb burning out, so he didn't seem too fazed. He's starting to shed for the 2nd or third time since I've gotten him, and I'm glad he's finally shedding well, means he's actually growing.
Lucked out at grandmas again this week, she had some bok choy, alfalfa sprouts, and grapes I could snag for his salads this week. Hes been able to experience some good eats since I've got him which keeps his life interesting.

Today I gave him a bath and cleaned his habitat and as per usual I had him in his basking spot on the floor to warm up and eat some worms and as soon as I sat down with my container with the two hornworms he jumped onto my leg, climbed up to my shoulder and ran down my arm trying to reach them. It was sooooo cute, i bursted out laughing. I cleaned his hammock and plants but had to hang the hammock and silk plants to dry overnight. I kept checking on him and he seems to be annoyed that I took his favourite spot away for the night XD. I think the snow is done here, hoping that we start getting warmer weather so I can take him outside.... still be a while though

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
They do seem to get used to the stuff in their enclosures, and then get all bent out of shape if you change it around.

He must really really like those "giant green squishy gummy" worms :lol:

We're still buried in snow here, and the road conditions are pretty nasty. It won't last forever, but probably at least a couple more months. We never know...

Carmalitaaa

Original Poster
Whoooa it's been a crazy time here! We ended up with some freak snow here in Vancouver, dashed my dreams of spring on the way. We also had some new bylaws in place in my town that now prohibit reptiles that can grow larger than 2 feet, tarantulas, large birds, and AND saltwater fish :shock:
450$ fine.
They also called b.s. on the "aggressive dog breed" bylaw, and now put for reliability on the owner, may force the owner to take the dog to training so that's good! No more of this banning pittbulls nonsense.
Back to the :shock: on the saltwater fish ban, now a lot on small mom and pop stores will go out of buisness because they've cashed in on the market that petsmart and other large stores haven't. One of those stores, being also one of the best reptile stores, getting hit twice. Once for the fish, and the reptiles over 2 feet (adult). I really really hope my local store can keep afloat, I must give them all my buisness. I thought these were just rumours (heard them at the pet store I work at) but after digging and digging on google for the bylaws, and reading about 50 pages, it's all true.

Anyways that's my excitement for today for myself, Banjo on the other hand, is doing amazing! He's having yet another good shed, and he's shed off one of the mole like spots that I was vaguely worried about (I knew it was just more bad shed build up). His colours are starting to bloom, my grandma says he looks rosey lol. He's having crickets and hornworms this week, picked him up some pellet food that he seems to like and more decorations! He's also had a lot of acorn squash, green beans, carrots, boo choy, alfalfa sprouts (still can't find the whole thing) apples, papaya, man you name it he's tried it by now! He never really looked like he had much muscle from being stuck in a tank at the store all day for the months he was sick, but he jumped about a foot and a half to try to get a worm yesterday! He also got a little more adventurous and seems to enjoy climbing as he climbed up my dresser, and also climbed up my shelf to jump onto the cat post just to climb down again lol!!! He just gets so excited for boogie time! I even took him out to the living room to say hi to my cats, didn't seem phased, no colour or breathing changes. my lap kitty got comfy right next to him, not even paying attention to him, she just seemed jealous to have to share my lap :roll: . He ended up doing the comfy wiggle as I pet him and the kitty at the same time, and he started to doze off. Melted my heart!
Let's just hope he doesn't get bigger than 2 feet now :lol:

Carmalitaaa

Original Poster
Annndd apparently I need to re read my posts because my dyslexia can be bad sometimes..... I think too fast for my hands to type sometimes so I apologize for how bad that last comment was... lol :shock: I swear that's not how I talk in person! :lol: :lol: :lol:

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Hopefully bearded dragons will get a pass on that new law because they usually don't get much longer than 2 feet. :?

Carmalitaaa

Original Poster
Well today was a double whammy on scares! Accidentally got my cats tail stuck in my bedroom door, but she's doing fine now. Lots of toys hot her to forgive me. But upon checking on my little buddy guy today, I noticed a very very unusual poop. It was hardly anything but urate, and a small amount of fecal Was a bit reddish in colour (probably from the new pellets he's on lately, no harmful dye). I took him out, gave him a long bath with good belly massage, going to make him some applesauce in the morning with raw honey in it, you know the usual to get a bm going. He seemed a little off today, wanting to cuddle over boogieing around the room and was a little lazy. I tested to see if I could get him running around with a hornworm and that seemed to do the trick. Cleaning his tank after, I notice what may be chew marks on a few leaves of his fake plant :shock: . I had noticed in the past few weeks since I've gotten it that a few had fallen off, so I scooped them out. He never seemed interested in the fake plants, I've held them up to his face and he turned away so I figured they would be safe in there. Now I'm panicking because all this just happened, and I don't know if he's eaten fake leaves and THATS why he's backed up, or if it's just from me changing him from the supers back to crickets in the last week. :( I'm very scared, will give him some olive oil and pray he's just a little stuffed. Vet will have to be tomorrow as I have no way to get there warmly in the snow, will have to arrange grandma to give me a ride. I'm hoping that he tasted the fake plants, and moved on, and not actually eaten any. I've counted how many "stems" to leaves there are and I do remember pulling out most of them to account for , but there's still 2 unaccounted for, I'm hoping they were missing beforehand.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Some red color in beardie poops may not be anything to worry about -- sometimes it's normal. Ours has had the same problem and the vet looked at it under a microscope and said it was crystalline, not cellular -- I was worried that it was blood but it turned out not to be.

If he did eat any of the fake plants, hopefully it will come out the other end with no problem. Sounds like you're doing all the right things in the meantime. Probably best for him not to have fake plants in his enclosure in the future, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom