Skywalker's a Dork

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm pretty new to owning reptiles.

I had a snake when I was younger (but you know...when you're a kid, your parents "help" you. And by help I mean it's basically their pet until you grow up and know what you're doing.)

My uncle, whom I am very close with, has always had reptiles. Snakes, lizards, turtles, tortoises- and he's prone to rescuing and rehabilitating them before sending them off to new homes. At least he used to. He hasn't had much time lately.

As a self-proclaimed cat person living in a house where everyone is horrendously allergic to cats, I started looking for other options. I've always liked reptiles, and I always felt a pull toward bearded dragons (as well as snakes, honestly) and my interest was well known by family who gifted my with Skywalker this Christmas of 2016.

So far I've noticed a few things.

this lizard is a cat.

He likes to perch on the high places of his viv, and peer down and out of the corner of his eye at anything and anyone passing by- with the occasional menacing side-squint.

Chases prey with a raised tail and wide eyes.

Likes to be held and petted...but only when he wants to be held and petted, not right at this moment thank you and no- not right there. Yes, I know right there was okay yesterday, but not right now. Maybe tomorrow.

Will fall asleep literally anywhere, on anything.

Does the warm-kitty slow-blinking 'ahhhh yes' face when basking.

In addition to this, I've noticed what I can only describe as Skywalker "practicing" beardie behavior...

sometimes in the morning, or at night, after he's nice and toasty warm he'll perch on his log or hammock and slowly puff his beard. Not all the way inflated, just kinda ...poof. a couple of times, and then one big p00f to finish it off.

It's not black or anything. And he's not dark. It's like he's doing yoga or something.

And I've caught him a few times now doing sort of head-bobbing...but like...halfway. He bobs down and freezes...and slooooowly sits back up ....and then bobs up reallyfast the rest of the way. And then he'll tilt his head and look around like "...did anybody see that?"

funny little lizard, he is....or she.

quite frankly, I... o_O I don't know if Skywalker is a Luke or a Leia yet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like he's doing pretty well. The behavior you describe is quite normal and also, yes, quite a bit cat-like in some ways.

GlassesTho

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2c7oagsv said:
Sounds like he's doing pretty well. The behavior you describe is quite normal and also, yes, quite a bit cat-like in some ways.

It's pretty hilarious behavior, and I am very entertained :lol:

I don't think I was prepared for how smart they are, though. It's a delightful surprise, and I am enjoying the interactions. :D

So far I'm leaning toward thinking Skywalker is a boy... I might try and post pictures later. We shall see!

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Sky walker sounds like a funny dude. Good luck with him/her. Its hard to tell sex until they get a bit older. I thought skipper was a boy at first.

... I lied. I thought skipper was a boy for SEVERN YEARS!

GlassesTho

Original Poster
Skipper7":3kt2f4h1 said:
Sky walker sounds like a funny dude. Good luck with him/her. Its hard to tell sex until they get a bit older. I thought skipper was a boy at first.

fortunately Skipper is a SUPER cute girl name! It has a lot of Moxie to it ;D!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I wish my parents would have been more helpful with reptiles when I started keeping them at 5 y/o. They usually were not very accepting of them. When I was young the internet didn't exist, so I spent lots of time at the military base library.
(Edit...forgot to mention why my parents allowed me to keep them. They were impressed I was trying so hard to learn as much as possible about them. The fact I was spending so much time at the library was the main reason I could keep them)

GlassesTho

Original Poster
Rankins":253qnjsi said:
I wish my parents would have been more helpful with reptiles when I started keeping them at 5 y/o. They usually were not very accepting of them. When I was young the internet didn't exist, so I spent lots of time at the military base library.
(Edit...forgot to mention why my parents allowed me to keep them. They were impressed I was trying so hard to learn as much as possible about them. The fact I was spending so much time at the library was the main reason I could keep them)

My mom grew up with my Uncle always catching things and bringing them home, so she was very desensitized :lol: When he passed one of his garter snakes to me, she did not mind. It was almost routine for her to have one in the house.

My stepdad wasn't as much of a fan!

I've had birds as well, and unfortunately, being that I was only 10 at the time (despite reading as much as I could get my hands on), my parents didn't take me very seriously when I told them I thought the 2 parakeets were ill. They died very quickly after I noticed they didn't seem right.

Same thing happened to our 16 year old cat. I mentioned she was acting unwell. Mom waited too long to take her to the vet- total liver failure. She died a week or so after.

So while my parents were always happy to help with providing food and shelter for the pets, they weren't always very helpful when I insisted they needed a vet. I'm 25 now, though, so I don't have to worry about that :D

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I use to save money for vet trips from birthday money. Everyone knew I didn't want presents for my birthday...only money to spend on the reptiles. I'm 48 now, and have so many reptiles I sometimes forget how many I have. I have 23 now I gave away two 5' ball pythons.

GlassesTho

Original Poster
Rankins":14jqe6zj said:
I use to save money for vet trips from birthday money. Everyone knew I didn't want presents for my birthday...only money to spend on the reptiles. I'm 48 now, and have so many reptiles I sometimes forget how many I have. I have 23 now I gave away two 5' ball pythons.

I loooove ball pythons.

that's on my to-do list.

someday, I hope to have a ball python. *nod*

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Not sure where you live, but if you were near Oregon I would have given them to you for free. The person I gave them to gave me a screen cage for chameleons. I don't even have chameleons, but I use to breed them and may get some from my brother. He breeds them but is going to quit doing it soon. Its too bad because we have been breeding reptiles most of our lives.

GlassesTho

Original Poster
Rankins":3vyipvcv said:
Not sure where you live, but if you were near Oregon I would have given them to you for free. The person I gave them to gave me a screen cage for chameleons. I don't even have chameleons, but I use to breed them and may get some from my brother. He breeds them but is going to quit doing it soon. Its too bad because we have been breeding reptiles most of our lives.

that would've been awesome :( I'm from CA, but I'm going to school in Arkansas for the next couple of years so here I am.

o_o it's odd being in a place that has weather. I'm used to SoCal....land of the "what is this moisture falling from the sky? Is heaven crying?"

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, Oregon rains almost daily 9 months out of the year. I have lived in a bunch of states and a couple countries...Oregon is one of my least favorite because of all the rain. If someone on here lives in Mississippi Im sorry but it was the worst state I lived in.
But that's where my reptile addiction took place, so it was worth it ;)

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
Skipper7":2rj90nt9 said:

Wow! 7 years! That made me laugh just a bit. :lol: I'm awful at sexing them, so I let my vet do it to be sure. I laugh every time he tells me, "Congratulations, it's a boy!"

GlassesTho

Original Poster
So apparently, Skywalker loves collard greens like I enjoy mozz sticks. He ATTACKS the stuff. (can anybody say ew? collard greens???)

Oh well, I guess I can't judge him too much...we both hate blueberries, so that puts us in the cool kids club. ;) I figure I might as well give him little bites of things here and there while he's still young to see what he likes and doesn't like, so it'll be easier to make salads as he gets older. (still pretty sure it's a 'he')

It's been a little over a week since he came home with me and he seems to be relaxing a lot more. 0.0 he actually ate 24 bugs yesterday. That's quite a bit more than the 4 he started with.

Skywalker definitely prefers Dubias over crickets now that I've introduced the roaches, which is funny to me. :lol: Good thing I prefer handling the dubias too! I'm going to let him try Phoenix Worms tomorrow, just to see what the little guy thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom