Break through or bribe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helllloooooooooo everyone

So I wanted to share this as I am very happy about it. If you have read my other posts you will know my BD is nervous. Well today I put cricket on my hand and put it into the tank. he looked for a minute ish and slowly came to my hand while watching me LOL. he took it from my hand!!!!! :D :D YES!!!! Talk about building trust!!! I did it six times and by the third time there was no hesitation. I am very happy about it. i will do this every time and eventually pick him up. But now he knows I am not a threat! I stroaked the side of his face as well but only once to not push my luck!!

He actaully jumped on the fake folage today and got to the top to try and excape for crickets!!! It has been a week but now I can really see his personality and his trust in me.

have a great day :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like you are gaining his trust. That should continue as time goes on and he gets more used to you. Take it slowly and it should work out well.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well it looks like he has gone backwards in his behaviour :(

I dont understand what is happening with him. Now he is not even eating his crickets. This morning he did take two from my hand after about 15 minutes of thinking about it and after that he wouldnt eat anymore and running round tank and now chillin but always and i mean always watching us like we will eat him. he is so nervous and I really do not know what else to do for him :'(

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Oh wow, the story I have about my boy.

February 7, 2015 I got my new juvie dragon after unexpected events with a hatcling.

He will come to you in time, really he will!
My boy kept going backwards a lot!
Just clean up his cage and feeding and maybe
you can pet him a few times. Mine had to go
through that stage of backwards and forwards.
Seriously, it will be ok! Also you can take him out
of his tank at night when he's sleepy and hold him on your chest and stroke him. He is finally used to me and it was a weeks worth of time. I also thought he'd never get there but here he is now! My snuggle buddy at night and my playmate during the day. Give him more time. Don't get frustrated and force it on him he'll never like you if you do that. I got frustrated too but I just closed his cage doors gently and walked off and tried later.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey thanks BlueDragon09

Well i would get him at night but he is hiding amongst the rocks now. He used to lay on his twine very happily but now hiding. It is a good idea to get him at night when he is sleepy but wouldnt this add stress on him?

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
I have never noticed stress on Broly when I held him at night back when he was nothing but a nervous wreck. I honestly think he'll be too tired to stess over it and should want nothing more but to sleep on your chest. Don't worry about the "will he be too tired tomorrow morning " because when I put him in his tank he went back to sleep. Next morning, he was up bright and early and shedding. When he sheds he goes off food and also moody so moody he doesn't want me holding him. Thats the only time he hates to be held. Other than that he's a snuggle buddy.

Ok so here is how I did it:

I turned off the lights tv can be on just not facing him.
I waited for 10 minutes for him to sleep then quietly in the dark I reached for him and picked him up slowly and have him on my chest (he may wake up don't worry) I lie down on my bed with him on my chest and put a blanket over him so it's dark and I stroked him and he was out like a light and I placed him back in the tank and he went back to sleep. So if he does wake up he won't be for long.

Kami

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thats great. I hope he comes from his rocks so I can get him. I am not sure but maybe he is about to shed..... he looks greyish and I am sure I saw a little bit of shedding. He HATES the bath at the moment so not sure how to help him. People say misting is bad so what to believe? I did drop some droplets on him and he freaked out so that didnt work! I am worrying about him though as he has gone backwards, but as you say he will come forwards (I hope)

I think about shedding as his appetite is usually huge and now it is not, usually active but now not and seems pi%%ed off.

Wait and see I guess. I know its not the heat as I have a digital thermo on the glass by the basking area as well as a repltile thermo gun as well and a regulator on the cool side. Theone thing I do not have is sliding doors :( I am getting a sliding door tank in two days which will be 40 gallon for an 11-12 month old beardie. I can then place hand in easily and in a non threatening way.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
It seems impossible right?

From the top you can usually lay your hand down to his side so he can see it. But if you do see shedding that can also be it as my dragon does the same mood during shed. Give him a bath maybe 5 mins if he really hates it. Mine takes 10 minute baths. I would think they say no misting in the cage but you could take him out...but that isn't working. You can do 5 min bath then...they only say no misting in the tank because if humidity goes too high he can get a respiratory infection. But the doors opening in front is a great idea it will make things easier. You may have to get him from the rocks after he's been asleep..really he won't even bother himself to stress about it he'll be too tired.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
tengu1":1epau28d said:
Thats great. I hope he comes from his rocks so I can get him. I am not sure but maybe he is about to shed..... he looks greyish and I am sure I saw a little bit of shedding. He HATES the bath at the moment so not sure how to help him. People say misting is bad so what to believe? I did drop some droplets on him and he freaked out so that didnt work! I am worrying about him though as he has gone backwards, but as you say he will come forwards (I hope)

I think about shedding as his appetite is usually huge and now it is not, usually active but now not and seems pi%%ed off.

Wait and see I guess. I know its not the heat as I have a digital thermo on the glass by the basking area as well as a repltile thermo gun as well and a regulator on the cool side. Theone thing I do not have is sliding doors :( I am getting a sliding door tank in two days which will be 40 gallon for an 11-12 month old beardie. I can then place hand in easily and in a non threatening way.

Could you share some pictures of you setup? How is it positioned and how high up off the ground? Is it possible he feels overwhelmed or too exposed in his enclosure? Do you know much about his life before you got him, or have done any major changes to his husbandry? Since he is almost a year he could have some ingrained habits and patterns from his previous life than will take some time/patience to come around too. He may also just be shy.

Like blue mentions, shedding throwing off his mood and appetite. It's can be a uncomfortable and stressful experience. That he is hiding all tucked up is his way of feeling secure. Unless there is a a reason to, pulling him out of his "safe spot" will only discourage him by teaching him it's not safe there.

Misting is a problem of you cage doesn't have enough ventilation. Stale stagnant and damp air is a bad thing, but considering the heat and lights we use most of the time adding a bit of water won't cause a problem. I've actually had a hard time raising the humidity intentionally, if you have a guage you can monitor it. That said it doesn't do so much - it might help soften loose shed but shedding is an internal process. The best way to help us make sure he is hydrated (fresh food, hydrated prey, water bowl and even offer water by dripper/spritz since he isn't happy about the baths.) If he hates the bath there is no reason to force it on him.

Good luck with him. I'm hopeful he will warm up to you, you seem very contentious about his feelings :)

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
HIs previous life was in a pet shop, a good reptile and fish shop actually. He had a small tank, normal for a pet shop. Now he has a tank with twine, cave, water bowl, food bowl basking spot with rocks, wood and of course a cool spot on a regulator as well as a reptile carpet. The top of the cage has the repti mesh so plenty of ventalation and the temps and humidity are bang on. I havethree types of theremo a digital by basking spot, a thermo gun for other places as well as checking basking spot and a standard one for good meausure in the middle of the tank.

He has fresh food and water every morning.I am guessing he is shy or just not used to his luxury tank yet :)

Today I will get a sliding door tank which is forcing me back steps as he will nedd to get used to that tank.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
tengu1":29syga1a said:
HIs previous life was in a pet shop, a good reptile and fish shop actually. He had a small tank, normal for a pet shop. Now he has a tank with twine, cave, water bowl, food bowl basking spot with rocks, wood and of course a cool spot on a regulator as well as a reptile carpet. The top of the cage has the repti mesh so plenty of ventalation and the temps and humidity are bang on. I havethree types of theremo a digital by basking spot, a thermo gun for other places as well as checking basking spot and a standard one for good meausure in the middle of the tank.

He has fresh food and water every morning.I am guessing he is shy or just not used to his luxury tank yet :)

Today I will get a sliding door tank which is forcing me back steps as he will nedd to get used to that tank.

In the long run the new tank will be better and your equipment sounds good. I wouldn't be surprised if he just doesn't know what to do yet. I also imagine he may have suffered emotionally for living in a small cage in a pet store. Petstore animals often get handled a lot, and maybe he met some people he didn't like or if he was a a level where kids could bang on the glass and such - could explain his reluctance to interact with people if so far they have only been frightening.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes I think so. I just cleaned his tank out now, replacing water and veg and I used a syringe to put some droplets of warm water on his back and tail and he didnt move at all which is good. I did this as this morning his tail from top to bottom looks very pale as in that white ish colour before shedding. I havent searched about that yet, but is that a sign of shedding?

Also a quick one but in the morning he is super green! LOL and during to the end of the day his color is normal. I read somewhere that they are vibrant in color in the morning due to temp drop over night?

Thank you

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
tengu1":32bjtz6r said:
Yes I think so. I just cleaned his tank out now, replacing water and veg and I used a syringe to put some droplets of warm water on his back and tail and he didnt move at all which is good. I did this as this morning his tail from top to bottom looks very pale as in that white ish colour before shedding. I havent searched about that yet, but is that a sign of shedding?

Also a quick one but in the morning he is super green! LOL and during to the end of the day his color is normal. I read somewhere that they are vibrant in color in the morning due to temp drop over night?

Thank you

Sounds like he is about to shed. :)
They can actually change color all throughout the day based on mood, temperature and if they want to warm up or cold off. It's pretty neat.

tengu1

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes it is pretty cool the way their color changes :D
This shedding business explains a lot in his change of behaviour actually. I was really worrying why he chnaged so much so quick but after reading much about shedding and how it effects them, I understand. His lack of eating worried me the most i must admit but I am sure it will come back after shedding.

I guess I am a bit of a worrier about him as I want everything to be right and make sure he feels safe and secure. It is like being a parent!

Would you agree it is a good idea to drop some droplets on his tail from his back to help the shedding? he seemed to enjoy it and I do not want to give him another bath until he is settled especially after last times episode! hahahahahahahahahha

Thank you for all your advice, its appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom