Don't know if this is an emergency yet but ? @ impaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Hello all. Many times I wanted to ask this question and then the lizard poops.
Anyway, how would one know if a lizard is impacted? Are there some telltale signs?
How often should an 8-10 week old lizard be pooping?
He eats 1/4" or smaller crickets 3-4x a day (space between 2 eyes is 1/2"), on average about 45-60 a day total, he gets some calcium but he won't eat them as much when dusted. He is offered salad every morning when he wakes up, some days he eats it some days he doesn't

Today, it is 11am and as of 1 hr ago he hadn't pooped since 6pm last night-although yesterday he went at least 3 times) Do I need to be concerned?
He is acting normal, jumping around after shadows on the wall behind his cage, tail in his u shaped position-he often does this during the day,etc.

He had a lukewarm bath this morning. We always stroke his back etc. How long do I wait for him to poop before
Thanks to all for the advice. I am so glad he has survived this long and we pray he makes it much longer as my daughter would be heart broken if he didn't make it close to average.

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
A true sign of impaction is leg paralysis when they can't move their legs it's a good sign of impaction of MBD.

dreshany

Hatchling Member
I would definitely not worry if it's only been a day. From what I have read, at times beardies can hold if for a few days. Babies/juvs usually go everyday but I wouldn't become overly concerned unless it's been at least 48-72 hours. Signs of impaction are usually a palpable mass in the abdomen. You could probably feel a lump in their tummy.
As long as he is eating properly (nothing bigger than the space between his eyes) and remains properly hydrated, and is on the proper substrate, the impaction rate is fairly low.

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
My critters go once a day except the baby who goes twice a day. One thing I did with mine was morning and afternoon baths in their younger days... made for clean cages and they definitely would poop twice a day. I've had one guy to two days before and I made him stay in his bath after the first two days til he pooped. He wasn't a happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom