Broken Legs or Sprain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tongali

Hi,

My BD, Tongali is a male 5 years old just got injured.
He was very hiper and active this afternoon, and he jumped off from my arm (about 3 feet) when I tried to bring him under the sun so that he can get more natural UV.
At the moment, he was still very active runnung around everywhere.
So I let him being alone in he spot that sun shine could come in( still inside my door).
But after a few minuites, I looked at him and he was hiding in the shade.
I tried to bring him back to the cage by holding him up, but I recognized he was so in tense and nervous.
I gently picked him up and put back in the cage, But after a few hours, I noticed he did not move at all for at least 30 min.
Since he was soooo active just before that he was bobbing his head vigorly every 2 min, I felt so strange.
I took him out from the cage and put him on the ground.
But he doesn't move much.
I gave him his favorit food, crickets and he ate it as usual, so his appetite seems fine.

I checked his body and found out his left back leg (or knee) seems a little swallowed or bigger than the right.
It feels a bit harder than the other like a lump.
At this point, they are the only noticable symptom.
I have read on line forums about broken/sprian legs and the way he moves seemes just like other injured BDs.
He can walk slowly and can move the leg but seems avoiding using it.

I would like to bring him to vet, but I know it is going to cost more than $200,,,,and it is very difficult for me to afford it.
Is it something naturally cure?
Can I do something at home?
What is the maximum days I can leave and observe how it is going to be without bringing him to the hospital?
His cage environment should be OK.
I would really appreciate if you could suggest me something....

I would also like to know of how much percent of possibility he will be cured if I bring him to vet.
becasue I have an experience that anther my BD died eventhough I brought him to a hospital unfortunately.
I know it was a different kind of case and it could have been too late to bring him, but I just would like to know a general idea about bringing a BD to bringing to vet and get it cured for broken or sprain legs.

Thank you so much for your reading.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello there,
There is a possibility that he was just spooked by the outside world and has gone into territorial mode.

In order to check for a sprain or break I would gentley apply pressure to your dragons leg. Start a the top and work your way down.
If he flinches or appears to be in pain at the pressure then we're looking at something that would need a vet visit. Bones can heal badly if left to their own devices.

Let us know.
Holly

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would make sure that his tank is setup to where he cannot fall & hurt himself more such as lowering the basking area. If you do that remember to adjust his lighting accordingly so that he stays warm enough.
If he continues to favor that particular leg, you should take him into the vet for an x-ray to make sure it is not broken. In the meantime, you can look for some serrapeptase online, which helps with swelling & pain for injuries. You can buy it from here:
http://www.serrapepetase.org

Also, a warm bath could help him out also. Doing daily water therapy has been shown to greatly improve circulation & help with injuries healing too.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom