NOt eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

(b)dragon tamer

Hatchling Member
LIza hasn't eaten for over a month. I think its brumation. She is about a year and a half old. Nothing is wrong with her tank, because i've done many posts on concerns for her here, but i did recently get a mega-ray lightbulb, but the temps are still fine. I also just added calcium sand, even though i've heard its bad, the person at the store recommended it because she said it could be a reason for Liza not eating. I offer veggies and supers every day. All she does though is hide. She doesnt look bad however. Her skin looks fine and she it just always tired. I'm thinking about feeding her a little vegtable oil through a syringe, just in case its compaction, and maybe some squash. Any suggestion/ideas? (PS this happened last year)

Codeman

The only thing I can say is you need to take everything someone at a pet shop tells you with a grain of salt. They really want you to buy that $20 bag of sand over an $8 terrarium liner.

IMO, the sand has NOTHING to do with her not eating. Are you sure she isn't impacted? Try giving her a nice warm bath to see if she defecates. Rub her belly a bit in the bath.

Fogles

Juvie Member
Like the poster said above, try the bath first. If that doesn't work..Try oil/applesauce babyfood. Feel around her belly and see if you feel anything hard like.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,

Well yes that does very much sound like brumation. After not eating for a month has she lost weight? Not eating and not losing weight are good indicators that her body has just gone into winter shutdown. If she has lost alot of weight from a month of not eating then we might have an issue.
There is a great article here that can help you:
http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/

Even if she is brumating a weekly bath is a great idea to keep her hydrated. Some dragons sleep right through their brumation baths!

In regards to calci sand im afraid the pet store is completely and utterly wrong.
Even if their thoughts were that she wasnt getting enough calcium they should suggest syringing her some liquid calcium.
Calci sand is lethal to bearded dragons as it not only encorages them to lick the sand but that it hardens in clumps in their stomachs, blocking their guts which not only leads to impaction, but death.

We have seen far too many dragons die from it to not scream and shout at the top of our lungs just how dangerous it is.

Please please please remove it immediately.
Use paper towels until you replace it.

Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom