New Owner Possible Fungus Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunrise114

Our bearded dragon suddenly has developed a black fungus. In my research here and other places it seems like maybe it is too damp where she is and we can fix that, but how do I get rid of the fungus itself??!! Someone in one of the posts mentioned Lamisil. If this really is an option, how do I use it on a dragon? She is not very active and is not eating much. She also looks like maybe she pooped and it is still attached to her vent area. Would a warm bath work for this part of the problem? Thanks for the help. Everyone here is very worried about her and we have no vets or pet stores close by!

dreshany

Hatchling Member
This is copied from another post, i hope it helps:

I am very sorry that you have a sick beardie. What are your temps right now? It is reccomended that your temps be just a few deg. higher durring these times. Cool temps normally 75 ish should be 80-85 F and your basking temps 105. Also, you will want to keep from misting the viv and keep all water sources out and only do the baths. Make sure that he is compleatly dry after the baths. Tea tree oil is just as effective as the witch hazel, both are astringents. Can you post some pics so we can see the "Fungus"? It would not hurt to get an anti fungal cream such as lotramine cream (for athleats foot). Wash the area well and then apply the tea tree oil (or witch hazel) and then dab some of the lotramine on the spots.

Hope this helps

And another post:

Hello,

Try getting some betadine from the drugstore or look in the pharmacy/supplement area in the grocery stores. It is very cheap. Dilute that into bathwater, just to help clean her.
Then, as suggested, the tea tree oil OR witch hazel, either one, is fine. They are both great to use as astringents, & it does not take much at all. Also, the lotrimen, or lamisil are the best things to use to put on following the baths & astrigent treatments. It is a cream & can be applied a couple of times per day.
The best thing is consistency. Do not miss a day. The fungus is very hard to get rid of so you have to be persistent & you can beat it.
Also, as suggested, using a probiotic will help.
Keep her hydrated as best as you can, daily. Definitely though keep her humidity levels down in her tank as much as you can. Wrapping her in a blankie at night will be great.
As soon as you can, post some pictures so we can take a look at he

Link to a site where you can get good probiotics:
http://www.reptileuv.com

Sunrise114

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. We lost her this evening. It wasn't the fungus (if it was fungus), that came on just yesterday. I think that she prolapsed (I think that's what I've seen it called). I'd mentioned that she also looked like she had some poop attached to her vent. It wasn't poop and we live over 50 miles from a reptile vet, if there are even any there. We're missing her already. She was a lot of fun. My daughter had named her Roses and Thorns because she was so pretty and sweet but had those little "pokies" all over her :) Thanks again.

Fogles

Juvie Member
Sunrise114":d75dc said:
Thanks for the info. We lost her this evening. It wasn't the fungus (if it was fungus), that came on just yesterday. I think that she prolapsed (I think that's what I've seen it called). I'd mentioned that she also looked like she had some poop attached to her vent. It wasn't poop and we live over 50 miles from a reptile vet, if there are even any there. We're missing her already. She was a lot of fun. My daughter had named her Roses and Thorns because she was so pretty and sweet but had those little "pokies" all over her :) Thanks again.

I'm sorry.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I am sorry that you lost your dragon. Your daughter must be devastated by her loss. :cry:
If you need anything, let us know.

Tracie

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry. It sounds like even if a vet was nearby, it probably wouldn't have done any good. We had that happen to us also.

Again, I'm sorry. We all know how much you'll miss her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom