She stopped laying! PLEASE ADVISE STAT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rin0425

Hatchling Member
Hi everyone, my name is Aaron and I have a problem...
I have two 3 year old beardies who grew up together and a few months ago hit sexual maturity and began to fight. One was injured so I placed what I thought was the female in a separate tank. I came home from work, went to fed them and saw that the "male" had laid about 7 eggs all over the enclosure. For some reason I didnt recognize the signs of nesting. Long story short, she has stopped laying her eggs. I was able to massage 1 out and she then laid one more. She has at least 4 more in her. I got a nesting box, warmed the cage to 90, gave her a bath, gave 2 rounds of oxytocin (I work at a vet, but we have no reptile doctor). She hasnt laid another egg in at least 6 hours which is already 36 hours after the first were laid. She doesnt seem in any way distressed, she isnt even attempting to nest or push any more out. Ive given her some chicken baby food with a littl calcium powder in it, however she didnt eat much. There are no herp vets anywhere near me that will be around until friday after christmas (its now tuesday evening). I dont know what to do...if anyone can suggest ANYTHING i would be really appreciative and she would too.
P.S.-the two eggs are in an incubator and both appear fertile :) the first good news from this mess.
Thanks everyone.
Aaron

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello there,
Im no expert but when my girl laid she laid 2 clutches about 3 days apart.
Id say keep up the warm baths and give her her privacy. My girl would only lay when the rooms lights were off and we werent inside.

Good luck.
Holly x

wizbee

Juvie Member
Yes I agree just give her awhile and the rest will probably come out. My Boga laid in two different times also. Don't try to rush nature! Congratulations!

rin0425

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for that, it helps me with my state of mind. Still this morning she seems fine, but no eggs yet. im going to try and get some of her favorite foods and get her to at some protein and calcium...well see how it goes...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is she housed with the male? If so, that is probably stressing her out somewhat. You might try housing her alone so she can get some rest. Is this her first time to lay then?
If she doesn't finish laying though within a reasonable amount of time, she could have a blockage possibly. The oxytocin is effective though & she has had 2 rounds already? That is probably enough hopefully her body will take care of the rest.
Try giving extra fluids right now to make sure that she is hydrated adequately.

Good luck.

Tracie

rin0425

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yeah they are seperate. she ate a bunch of crickets and super worms and even some greens, i think she might just be taking a break

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, super that they are separated. She ate that much today, well, maybe she is not going to lay many more though. If it is her first clutch, sometimes they are small. Just continue with keeping her hydrated & make sure her calcium levels are adequate, & if she has more, she should hopefully lay with the help of Oxytocin.
Keep us posted.

Tracie

rin0425

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hey everyone, as an update, she has now layed 2 more eggs today. i only feel 3 or 4 more. hopefully shell continue. she seems a little quieter today, but still eating. I now hav 4 in the incubator, however 1 is a littl sunken in and maybe a little greyish in color. do you think its dead? the others are still looking good. Im worried about the humidity in there, its staying at 99% no matter what I do. Also, i just have an open container with virmiculite and plastic wrap lightly over it in the incubator. is this ok?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hopefully she will finish up soon so she will feel better. You feel only a few more huh?
The humidity should not be quite that high or they will mold. The humidity should run around 60-80% max. The plastic wrap is ok as long as it keeps the temperatures at a steady 82-84 degrees or so. However, you do need some ventilation to keep the condensation down. Water can drip onto the eggs & drown them as they are developing.
Do you have any soil mixed in with the vermiculite, or not?
The greyish one in color could still be good, but if it starts collapsing then it is dead. You can discard that one.

Tracie

rin0425

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yeah i have 2 holes in the top, but still the humidity wont drop, its frustrating...but we do have 5 eggs now, however i did throw out the grey collapsed one. I just have the virmiculite with no soil mixed in. i dont know how to further drop the humidity while still keeping the temp.
Ill keep trying, i did drain the water well in the bottom but im too afraid that the virmiculite will get too dry. i suppose that its ok for now though, i think that the first one rotted because of all the water. any suggestions?
And I gently pushed the prolapsed egg back in and about 20 min later she had it with no problem, she even seems a bit more active since that one, it was pretty big.
thanks for all the help, its really keeping me pretty calm through this
Aaron

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Aaron,
How are things going today? Any progress with her eggs, did she lay more today?
Does she appear stressed or has she remained pretty calm lately?
Putting some regular soil with no fertilizers, etc, would help absorb some of the moisture though along with the vermiculite.
I hope that she is hanging in there. Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

rin0425

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey tracie, she is laying onew of the last two eggs as im typing! Shes doing great, eating, drinking, etc. The eggs im not so sure will hatch, right now there are 2 that look totally normal, however they dont appear to be fertile and the ones that are are getting a little slimy. I got some miconazole antifungal powder to lightly dust them, but im fully prepared for no babies this time. Im hoping now that I know whats happening her next clutch will b more normal, but im still not giving up on these guys yet!
Thanks again for the advice!
Aaron

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Aaron,

So she is laying right now huh? Well, at least she is alert while she is laying so she doesn't appear to be having any major problems right now.
Well, maybe the eggs will be better next time. It is more important that she is ok rather than the eggs, anyway.
Keep me posted on her. I hope that she finishes laying soon!

Tracie

rin0425

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey everyone,
My beardie has finally finished laying her eggs! I have 11 incubating, and with the first unexpected ones, she layed 20 eggs! Of the 11 6 look promising, however im not giving up on the others completely...although its getting a little smelly and their color is weird looking. She is doing great, acting totally normal...eating, drinking, basking, and even head bobbing at the male who is 5 feet away in another cage.
I hope I get a baby or two out of this unexpected stressful experience...but i cant wait for it to happen again now that im prepared. Thanks to everyone whos put a word in. Its awesome to have a resource like this.
Thanks again,
Aaron
P.S.- now that my dragons are the wrong sex they need new names...id fel funny just switching them. any suggestions?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Aaron,

Great that she seems to have finished laying for now. Remember though, that she may & will most likely, lay another clutch or two. It will be roughly 5 or so weeks in between this one. So in the meantime, make sure that she gains weight & get plenty of fluids & calcium, too. That is great that she is doing well, too.
Keep us posted on her & on the incubating eggs. Maybe a few will make it.
Names are rough! If I have any ideas, I will post them.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom