Bearded dragon won't poop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battery

Well my friend moved away and could not take his beardy with him, so i inherited him. I have lots of experience with reptiles, Veiled chameleons mostly, but i've never experienced anything like this with any of my other reptiles. He eats and eats and eats, fresh vege's, crickets, super worms, But no poo. Except the other day i came home and in his superworm dish there was this HUGE clump of something it was about a handful of what looked like poop, but i find it weird that he wouldn't poop regurlarly. and since i found that huge clump of w.e (maybe it was regurgitated?) he has been eating regularly. He is in a 45 gallon tank 80 degrees on the cool side basking area is 95 degrees, I removed the sand that was in there and put newspapers instead when i inherited him, I like him alot and hope this isn't a serious problem, any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan

dreshany

Hatchling Member
I am a new beardie owner but it sounds like he might have been a bit impacted. I would make sure he stays hydrated, maybe give him frequent baths and watch to see if he poo's more regularly now. Is he acting normally otherwise?
You might decide to feed soft foods and/or increase his fiber intake ?(I hear apples are good).
I am sure someone with more knowledge will be able to offer more advice. I am glad to hear he did poop though :D

Battery

Original Poster
o yea hes acting totally normal, running around, crawling all over me, when i let him out of his tank he cruises around on the floor, and hes eating regularly thats why im so confused, unless hes digging into the sand then crapping and covering it like a cat would? i took the sand out today so we'll see if he goes.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
You may want to try one thing first before you panic.Some beardies(including most of mine)do not like pooping in their tanks.They will actually hold it until they absolutely have no choice.This of course is not ideal so what I recommend you do is to bathe him frequently.First if there is an impaction from the sand or something else this will help him and second most will automatically go in the bath(providing no impaction).Weekly baths should be doen with beardies anyway so this would be a good way to rule out impaction.If he still doesnt go then you can add a few drops of olive oil to his diet every day or even some canned sugar free pumpkin to help move things along.When he is in the bath you can also massage the abdomen starting from the "armpit and working downward towards the vent to see if you feel any abnormall lumps and to aid the digestion problem.One question on those temps what are you using to measure them and where are you taking them?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Sorry I should have been more clear.Fill warm water(about 95f) in a sink,tub or container so it comes up to just under your beardies "armpits" let him soak in it for about 20 minutes but you will have to monitor him because just like with kids accidents happen.On a side note beardies can float and also swim and some of them actually do grow to be fond of it.He may not be happy about it at first if he hasnt been accustomed to it but he will eventually learn to relax in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom