Injured back leg....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sddragons

Juvie Member
I noticed one of my females kind of dragging one of her back legs today. After looking at her good I see a little swelling and bump on top right at the area that her thigh meets her spine/pelvis. It is sore to the touch because when I softly touch it she kind of jumps/winces.
She is eating fine, just doesn't want to chase the crix around and just lets them come to her. I don't know what could have happened.
Any suggestions? Is it vet time?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Yesn it is vet time it sounds like a break or dislocation.Is she housed with any other beardies?She also could have fallen from one of her branches.This just happened right?There were no other previous signs of problems?One other think when you say bump do you mean like a wound bump or just raised swelling?

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Just a little raised swelling. No open wounds or sores. She is in with another littler girl that grew up with her. They both are real calm and just lay around with each other. Never have they fought or wrestled around. She actually just laid eggs a couple weeks ago.

vickson420":a07b6 said:
Yesn it is vet time it sounds like a break or dislocation.Is she housed with any other beardies?She also could have fallen from one of her branches.This just happened right?There were no other previous signs of problems?One other think when you say bump do you mean like a wound bump or just raised swelling?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hmm well its possible that maybe they didnt get along quite so well today.It almost sounds like a pull injury.I think you may need to get an XRay.You dont want to have a permanent injury or godforbid lose her leg or her if this is infected.A pic would help though can you post one?

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Here's a picture as best as I can get. It's right above the left thigh where the swelling is. I called by the vet and they want $70 for the exam and $180 for an xray if needed. Sheesh what did I get myself into....:)

431040510_F9HcH-L.jpg

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I am sorry she needs the vet.That is an internal injury I was kind of hoping I would see something cause from the surface but I am worried it may be a spinal.Is it there any swelling on the other side?Looks like she fell unless this is something that has just been progressively getting bigger over time which you said it hasnt so that would rule out MBD.

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
No the other side is perfectly normal.

vickson420":dc1cd said:
I am sorry she needs the vet.That is an internal injury I was kind of hoping I would see something cause from the surface but I am worried it may be a spinal.Is it there any swelling on the other side?Looks like she fell unless this is something that has just been progressively getting bigger over time which you said it hasnt so that would rule out MBD.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
My best guess here is a break or like I said some swelling from a spinal/back injury.There really isnt a home treatment I can think of.I did PM Tracie to have her take a look and put her opinion.She may see something I cant.It is possible that you other female may have somehow injured her so I would watch this.I would also take anything out of the tank that she may attempt to climb thus injuring herself further.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did she fall? That does look like it could be a spinal injury of some type, yes especially if she is not using her back legs. Do you know when this began happening?
Is it a soft bump then & not a hard one? It could also be a cyst or an abscess of some sort also. Did she have any trouble laying her eggs?
The only thing that can be done is to get an x-ray & then if they felt like it was warranted, to aspirate any fluids out of that area to have them cultured.
You could get some Serrapeptase to help with swelling of the area, in case it was an injury of the soft tissue. You can buy that from:
http://www.serrapeptase.org

Tracie

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I don't think its a spinal injury (but I am not a Dr.). It just seems to be that one leg. Her other back leg is fine. Just that soft bump above the one leg. I mean she uses it but she just babies it a little. She kind of drags it on the tile in her viv but if I put her on the floor she uses it some.
I will see what the vet says tomorrow.

Drache613":62f44 said:
Hello,

Did she fall? That does look like it could be a spinal injury of some type, yes especially if she is not using her back legs. Do you know when this began happening?
Is it a soft bump then & not a hard one? It could also be a cyst or an abscess of some sort also. Did she have any trouble laying her eggs?
The only thing that can be done is to get an x-ray & then if they felt like it was warranted, to aspirate any fluids out of that area to have them cultured.
You could get some Serrapeptase to help with swelling of the area, in case it was an injury of the soft tissue. You can buy that from:
http://www.serrapeptase.org

Tracie

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She seems a little better. She is using the leg more. I have not seen my reptile vet yet. I stopped off at another vet in town but they really don't work on reptiles but the Dr. took a quick look and said he feels nothing is broken or dislocated. He said as long as she is moving around and eating fine, just soak her good everyday and see if it subsides before going through all the xrays and things. So I will keep a close eye on her the next week but she does seem like she is moving around a little better today.

vickson420":b8cd0 said:
Any updates?How did the vet visit go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom