BD wierd head movement :( !!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
after i came home from school i notice that my female bd dragon is doing some side to side bobbing (not up and down) it was really wierd because i never seen that behavior before. also when she walks she is kinda like a drunk dragon. i tried putting her into a warm water so she can relax but after i put her, she suddenly spin in the water like a crocodile doing a death roll. she is eating normal infact i just hand hed her 3 fat dubia, 2 super worms and 20 midium crickets with vitamin powder. i'm really worrried about my dragon, she is my spoiled and favorite dragon. please help me i dont know what to do

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you tell us a bit more about your setup please?
What type & brand of UVB are you using, is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light?
Are you using calcium supplementation?
What is the humidity in the tank?
What are the temps in the tank, & what do you measure the temps with? A stick on thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun?
How large is she?

Tracie

Cinderella Boi :)

Original Poster
Drache613":fdf60 said:
Hello,

What type & brand of UVB are you using, is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light?
What are the temps in the tank, & what do you measure the temps with? A stick on thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun?
How large is she?

Tracie

info of setup and care
40 gal tank
repti cal UVB compact
calcium d3 and vitamins i mix them
temp is about 80 over all with a thermo stats
she is about 11"
water dish and swimming dish are in the cages

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Cinderella Boi :)":21c3b said:
Drache613":21c3b said:
Hello,

How large is she?

Tracie

info of setup and care
40 gal tank
repti cal UVB compact
calcium d3 and vitamins i mix them
temp is about 80 over all with a thermo stats
she is about 11"
water dish and swimming dish are in the cages

I'm sorry, I can't help with what might be the matter with her, but I can help with some of this.
Ditch the compact. It's horrible for their eyes. You want a ReptiSun 10.0 tube.
She needs a basking spot where the temps are between 100-110, only the cool side should be 80 during the day. The hotter it is, the easier it is for them to digest.
Most beardies won't drink out of standing water dishes, and it can raise the tank humidity high enough to cause respiritory infections. I recommend taking both the water dish and swimming dish out of her tank and making sure she stays hydrated by misting her veggies (I just wash mine and don't dry them before giving them to my dragons), misting her, and baths several times a week.
Oh, she's to small for superworms- they need to be 16 inches because juvie dragons have a kink in their intestines that makes impaction from super's shells a very real possibility.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for answering the questions.
As suggested, the Reptisun 10 compact is one of the worst lights that can be used, unfortunately I hate to say. Here is a link talking about them for you to read.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

That is a very dangerous light. The UVB output is poor & it puts out hazardous UVB levels as well.
I believe probably most will be related to the light. However, there are a few other issues to discuss too.
The calcium & vitamins should not be mixed. Use just the calcium with D3 5 times per week. Use the vitamins 2 times per week.
At 11 inches, she is too small for superworms. Sometimes, you can feed the TINY superworms to them at that length, but be very careful. Their intestines are so small & they can get impacted so easily. Some other choices are phoenix worms, butterworms, crickets & or roaches. The crickets & roaches should be no larger than the space between the eyes.
The temps, you mentioned that they are 80 all over the tank, does that include the basking site too? What type of thermometer are you using, a stick on thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun?
The basking site needs to be 95-110 & the cooler end around 78-82. So if she is not warm enough she wont be able to properly digest his food.
She is also probably not absorbing his calcium properly, either because of the UVB light.
You will need to go ahead & get the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb. You can order it from http://www.petmountain.com It is much cheaper there than at any petstore.
What type of substrate is in the bottom of the tank? Do you know what the humidity is in the tank?

Tracie

Cinderella Boi :)

Original Poster
Drache613":5b804 said:
Hello,

Thanks for answering the questions.
As suggested, the Reptisun 10 compact is one of the worst lights that can be used, unfortunately I hate to say. Here is a link talking about them for you to read.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm

That is a very dangerous light. The UVB output is poor & it puts out hazardous UVB levels as well.
I believe probably most will be related to the light. However, there are a few other issues to discuss too.
The calcium & vitamins should not be mixed. Use just the calcium with D3 5 times per week. Use the vitamins 2 times per week.
At 11 inches, she is too small for superworms. Sometimes, you can feed the TINY superworms to them at that length, but be very careful. Their intestines are so small & they can get impacted so easily. Some other choices are phoenix worms, butterworms, crickets & or roaches. The crickets & roaches should be no larger than the space between the eyes.
The temps, you mentioned that they are 80 all over the tank, does that include the basking site too? What type of thermometer are you using, a stick on thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun?
The basking site needs to be 95-110 & the cooler end around 78-82. So if she is not warm enough she wont be able to properly digest his food.
She is also probably not absorbing his calcium properly, either because of the UVB light.
You will need to go ahead & get the Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb. You can order it from http://www.petmountain.com It is much cheaper there than at any petstore.
What type of substrate is in the bottom of the tank? Do you know what the humidity is in the tank?

Tracie

Thanks for all the info that you guys gave me. I will change all my lights right away. also i'm gonna go to the vet to check whats really going on. do you guys know how much will they charge me ? also i just read the link but the sypmtoms are not the same. my dragon is active its just that his doing a side to side head movements.

I use thermo stats as my thermometer and paper towel as my substrate.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are right, that is not the specific symptoms, no. The light is hazardous if it is too close. However, it doesn't put out quality UVB emissions enough to be healthy for your dragon & to help maintain strong bones.
Definitely try to get a Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb. His symptoms more mimic metabolic bone disease, hypocalcemia, dehydration or another type of vitamin deficiency.
What type of thermo stats do you use to measure your temps, are they digital?
Good you are using paper towels for the substrate.
Well, it does vary from vet to vet, but most of the time an office visit runs from $45 or so & then an x-ray can be around $45 to $50. A bloodtest usually runs you around $100. If you want a fecal done, they are cheap, less than $20.
Please keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom