Post rectal prelapse problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

culbert9

So my beardie had a rectal prolapse and it was terrible. I took him to the vet and he got surgery and they sowed his anus so it would be a little smaller. Now my guy is eating well, drinking plenty of water but still not pooping. I can see him struggle to poop but only white juice comes out and no solids. I really think there is a problem. I went to the vet for his second 3 day check-up (so 6 days after surgery) still not getting any solid poop and they checked the hole and said it was definitely big enough so when he's ready he will pass it along. Now i still see him strugle 8 days after surgery to poop. What do you suppose the problem is? Im thinking maybe his insides were not put back in correctly and maybe there is something blocking the actual hole from the bladder to the anus possibly. I was thinking it was just because he didnt have alot in his stomach because he stoped eating during the prolapse but now im just starting to get worried because i can actually see him struggle to poop.

This is really starting to concern me. You guys helped so much when he was actually having the rectal prolapse that if you could give me any opinions on whats going on here that would be greatly appreciated. Also, before he was eating naturally, my vet gave me a recipe to get to force feed him. I went out and got it but then he started eating normally so i felt their was no need. My vet said that i don't need to do that anymore but but it wouldnt be a bad idea because of how healthy the diet was for him. I really dont want to force feed him unless completely necessary, would that be a good idea.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
I'm wondering if he shouldn't just have soft foods. I know that when I had to have my stomach completely 'cleaned out' it took many days for me to get back to 'normal'. 8 days, though.. It really does sound like he might be impacted, which could certainly be an issue after a surgery. Did the vet say anything about bathing him? You could certainly try bathing him more often in warm water, like several times a day. Maybe you could bump the temps up a bit, I don't know if that would help or not..

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sometimes after a surgery of that magnitude it does take some time for their bowels to begin working normally again. Those muscles & nerves have been worked on, & are affected from the prolapse. The muscles have stretched out of place when the prolapse took place so he may lack some muscular control as well.
Are you giving calcium & does he have the proper UVB lighting?
What is he eating right now? The diet right now should consist of soft foods & no feeders unless they are blended up. That will help make the passing of foods much easier for him & be less apt for any bug parts to get caught up in the GI tract when trying to pass through. So I would go back to the prescribed soft food diet until he is more fully healed up.
Have you tried massaging his belly on the right side to help see if that will stimulate his system a little bit. Is he able to get around right now, pretty easily?

Tracie

culbert9

Original Poster
Yea he is completely active. I have been giving him crickets and right when i drop them in he sprints down and chases them down so he is definitely active. Maybe ill try giving him a warm bath.

I really would like to avoid force feeding him just because its not natural and I wont have any help so that would be a struggle. I have been trying to give him water 3 times a day to make sure he is properly hydrated.

When you say soft foods what do you mean? lettuce? is feeding him crickets a bad idea? maybe less crickets?

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
I have found with Lindy's warm (hot) baths... that he has to have room to swim. If he just sits there he won't poo but if I antagonize hime (yes I know not good) but make him want to swim away from me then it gets the poo moving right on out. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom