Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtw124

Hi all, I am new to posting to the forum although I have read a ton of information on here.

We purchased our first beardie a month or so ago. I believe he is roughly 3.5-4 months of age at this point. He was doing great at first, hiding from the UV in the top of his enclosure a little in the beginning but eating well and seemed decently active. I figured he was just acclimating to his new home and surroundings.

He has recently taken a turn for the worse and I cannot figure out what is going on with him. He’s lethargic for The most part. He doesn’t want to use his arms and legs much and seems to struggle when doing so. His appetite has decreased a good bit the last week or so. I’m most concerned with his movement, it looks like what people explain as MBD. Jerky leg movements and twitches. I do have reason to believe he fell off of one of the higher spots in his enclosure several days ago so am not sure if this could be the cause. I’m not sure how he could have early MBD as I have done everything right to prevent that.

His enclosure is a 30 or so gallon front opening. Basking spot stays between 95 and 105 ambient and slightly hotter surface temps. Cool side stays 85. He has water available, eats some greens but not many but they’re always available and has been eating small Dubai’s dusted with calcium and multivitamin 4-5 times per week since I got him, some crickets and BSFL as well. I know the reptisun 10.0 uvb is working well as I purchased a solarmeter before we got him after reading so many horrible MBD stories.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. I’ll post some videos below so you guys can take a look at some small instances of the behavior I am referring to. I can send more videos if need be. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Rus

https://youtu.be/VDuxB5ce_6E
https://youtube.com/shorts/xwP3lzhNlTM?feature=share

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, he's a cute little guy ! Can you post a few pics to show the layout, including the lights ? Also the name + strength of the uvb lights. Take him out and put him on the floor , get a video showing him walking or running more.

rtw124

Original Poster
Here’s a couple pictures of the setup. The uv bulb is a reptisun T5 and is mounted just below the screen.

111792-1803204934.jpg
111792-3390567079.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It is possible that he's not getting enough uvb since it's coming from above but it's in the back area and not putting out uvb rays in other areas of the tank. Can you suspend the uvb fixture from the middle of the top of the enclosure ? The other possibility is that he was hurt when he fell from the upper ledge. For a baby beardie I would not use the wall formations that come with those kits. In the wild, they would be in grassy/sandy areas with mostly dead wood to climb on. If your little guy fell he may have hit the rocky area and been injured. It could also be a combination of both. If you can get him out in the sun for a half hour every day that might help. If you have a very qualified reptile vet you might opt for xrays if you don't see any improvement in a short while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom