Ziggy seems to be mostly paralyzed

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Re: Ziggy seems to be mostly paralyzed

Postby Drache613 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:37 am

Hello,

How is Ziggy doing today?
Did the vet give you saline solution/ringer's solution for injection of hydration?
Definitely, once you receive the blood test results, try to post them here so we can see
what could be going on.
Kidney issues are a big possibility, & is relatively common in older dragons but can happen
in younger dragons, also.

Tracie
Drache613

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby ZiggysDad » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:31 am

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

How is Ziggy doing today?
Did the vet give you saline solution/ringer's solution for injection of hydration?
Definitely, once you receive the blood test results, try to post them here so we can see
what could be going on.
Kidney issues are a big possibility, & is relatively common in older dragons but can happen
in younger dragons, also.

Tracie

Hello,

He seems to be doing a little better. It looked like he pushed himself forward a little with his back legs. We can usually tell, because his front legs are back by his side. We usually put him down with his front legs forward, like he would normally have them, so if we find them back by his side, it usually means he's pushed himself along with his back legs.

He seems pretty happy. His head is up a lot of the time, though sometimes not.

Yes, I believe that is the solution they gave us for hydration.

We still haven't got the results yet, but will definitely post them when we do!

Best,
Nat (Ziggy's Dad)
ZiggysDad
Newbie Poster

Postby ZiggysDad » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:36 am

And so the day turns.

The vet called today with the results of Ziggy's blood work. It appears his kidneys are doing better, but the vet said that might mean his paralysis is genetic, and, if so, he might only have six months.

I am devastated. Crying constantly. I am not sure what to do. We're going to try to take care of him until he gets in a bad way.

He was doing so well this morning, but his beard has been black a lot this afternoon, and even petting his head isn't helping.

The vet said she could be completely wrong. But the other vet we took him to before said he didn't think his bones were bad either, i.e. not MBD.

Will try to get blood work results and post, but probably won't be today.
ZiggysDad
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:00 pm

There's no real way for anyone to say how long Ziggy will live, it's a complete guess on the vet's part. As for a black beard, my crippled boy did it in the spring just as a normal dragon would have due to hormones + desire to mate. Ziggy may outlive the vet's prognosis by months or years.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:15 pm

I agree with AHBD. They are tough little ones and can fight their way through a lot when they need to. Ziggy may have a lot of good time with you ahead.
CooperDragon

Postby ZiggysDad » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:42 am

AHBD wrote:There's no real way for anyone to say how long Ziggy will live, it's a complete guess on the vet's part. As for a black beard, my crippled boy did it in the spring just as a normal dragon would have due to hormones + desire to mate. Ziggy may outlive the vet's prognosis by months or years.

Thank you for the encouraging words. He really does go up and down. Last night and so far today he's been pretty happy - no black beard and head up a lot of the time. He seemed happy when we fed him and petted his head. I guess we'll just do what we can. We love him so much!!!
ZiggysDad
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Beardie ER