Power Outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

JorgeG

Help! I live in Texas and the power has been out for quite a while and I’m worried about my beardie. His temps are going low and they read 62, and I’m afraid they might get lower. What do I do to raise his temps without using power? Please help!

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Do you have a fireplace?

You can add cardboard or foam panels around most of the enclosure to insulate it. Just tape it on with painters tape or whatever you have around. Function over pretty for a short term solution

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Worst case scenario you could keep your dragon on your chest, skin to skin, as long as you awake. I don't want to suggest to do so while sleeping as he could be hurt while you're sleeping or he might move away and get very cold.

As someone from a northern state do not let him breath the air outside, it's too cold. If you have to move from your home put him in a cooler, ideally on some towels with a heat pack underneath the towels.

NivAndBlu

I suggest using hand warmers to make sure that your beardie is warm, if the warmers are AT LEAST 80°F or higher, it will be perfect for your beardie! But I also learned that the warmers can go up to 135°F which might be too hot for your BD. If so, then please keep it a good distance from the beardie and things will be okay :D

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
You can add cardboard, foam panels, heavy blankets, etc to the windows and doors of your house. Insulate your human enclosure. Don't go outside. But if you have too go through someplace with a double door if possible. Such as out the garage then out a garage doorway, minimize any air exchange

puffyboy

Hello, pour boiling water or hot water into a Nalgene or heat-safe bottle. Place a towel/blanket/shirt over the bottle and your beardie can rest on top. Make sure they are not too hot and aren't directly touching the hot bottle. Works well if you want to cuddle but can't generate enough body heat :)

Jorge, I am also in TX and have been without power for over 36 hours now. We spent the first 24 hours with our dragon under our sweatshirts to keep her warm against our bodies. Apartment temp dropped to 51 degrees (and continuing to fall) so today we took her out to a warmed car so she could actually see daylight and be warm. We've been afraid to feed her in case she can't digest it properly, and she's gravid with slowly developing ovarian follicles we've been tracking.

It's exhausting. I'm sorry you're going through this too. We haven't had more than an hour or so of uninterrupted sleep since 2am Monday when the power first went out, because we are constantly checking her temps even while she is on our chests. Hang in there.

(We ended up staying in the warm car from 9am til about 3:30 when we found out our friends who live near a hospital still have power. We explained the situation and they've allowed us to stay and bring our dragon plus her lights. Took us 45 minutes to go 7.5 miles due to road conditions. I wish this could be a solution for everyone but I know it isn't, and even the car isn't an option for many.)

Take care Jorge. I wish things were different.

JorgeG

Original Poster
Thank you guys for the tips!
I managed to keep my beardie warm throughout this situation, and this morning the power turned on so he is nice and warm! I hope the power stays on, but if it does turn off I know how to handle it. Thank you!

Here are some recent pics of my beardie :)
110332-4508323045.jpg
110332-9521395103.jpg

JorgeG

Original Poster
skyfishcafe":33xyakb1 said:
Jorge, I am also in TX and have been without power for over 36 hours now. We spent the first 24 hours with our dragon under our sweatshirts to keep her warm against our bodies. Apartment temp dropped to 51 degrees (and continuing to fall) so today we took her out to a warmed car so she could actually see daylight and be warm. We've been afraid to feed her in case she can't digest it properly, and she's gravid with slowly developing ovarian follicles we've been tracking.

It's exhausting. I'm sorry you're going through this too. We haven't had more than an hour or so of uninterrupted sleep since 2am Monday when the power first went out, because we are constantly checking her temps even while she is on our chests. Hang in there.

(We ended up staying in the warm car from 9am til about 3:30 when we found out our friends who live near a hospital still have power. We explained the situation and they've allowed us to stay and bring our dragon plus her lights. Took us 45 minutes to go 7.5 miles due to road conditions. I wish this could be a solution for everyone but I know it isn't, and even the car isn't an option for many.)

Take care Jorge. I wish things were different.

Yeah it was very tough for me too, I also had him inside of my shirt because that was the best way to keep him warm, but I also had on a jacket that reflected my body heat so that helped a lot too. I took him to my car every once in a while to let him get some heat, but I couldn't stay in there too long. I hope your power is back on and that you and your beardie are warm. Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom