Beardie Overheated? Limp, slowed breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

fen

Hi! I own a female adult bearded dragon. Today, I noticed signs of overheating, but unfortunately, I didn't notice what the symptoms were for. I finished an activity, only to come back to an unresponsive, limp, and pale beardie. I admit I could've done better to help her, I feel terrible for that. Back to the point, I followed instructions from online: bathing, dripping water on her snout, etc. But other than her color coming back just slightly, nothing has changed. During the soak, she did try to twitch her back limbs, but it hasn't happened a second time. As I have other things to do, I had to take her out. I placed her in a warm towel and let her lay on my lap as I worked. I set her in her cage under a lamp to see if it does better than a simple blanket.

In more detail to her symptoms, when I found her, she smelled, was very pale, limp, eyes closed, and mostly unresponsive. To be honest, I freaked and tried to give her some water. After a bit, she opened her mouth to, what seemed like, gasp in either air or water. It would go on between intervals of several minutes; her breathing would be about 30 seconds gap between breaths. Now, she's regained slight color. Yes, her beard and tail end is dark. For a few days, she had been pooping very often in small amounts, is that related? Anyways, if I try to open her mouth to take in some water, she will stir--still, her eyes remained shut.

Actually, as I was writing this, she's been starting to raise her head. She's regained movement in her limbs, but her walking is quite messy--to the point of tripping over her legs and tipping over. She seems very lethargic right now, perhaps using that much energy is tiring.

About any possible variables, it was supposed to be feeding day a while back, but she was very sleepy and wouldn't acknowledge the purple container she usually gets excited at. I ended up forgetting to do it again. Her cage was also a bit messy, I was going to clean it soon, I just wanted to wait until she stopped pooping so much so her new carpet wouldn't stain. I also have a habit of leaving in stale food, I really need to work on that. I also don't really change the water in her bowl very often as she doesn't drink from there, she either gets her water during baths or when I feed her with an eye-dropper.

If there's anything you want to ask me, go ahead! She does seem to be recovering though, so I'll update you about her.

fen

Original Poster
Alright, I've got an update:

She made it through the night, her color is darker--still limp but I've been giving her some water now and then. Is it a good idea to feed her once she can walk again? Sorry, I'm not an expert :oops:

Oh right, as I was giving her water, there were some spit bubbles. I did hear that dehydrated lizards will have quite the sticky spit so I'm assuming that's a normal response to her drinking water and opening and closing her mouth for a bit.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor girl. It does sound like she overheated. There is a risk of organ damage, but it's a good sign if her color is coming back and she is drinking. For now, I'd keep her as comfortable as you can and keep offering water by dripping it on her nose to lick up. Offer small amounts but several times per day rather than a lot at once so she doesn't take in too much at once. Hopefully she will be able to stabilize and recover.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, she may have gotten overheated. As suggested, try to keep her comfortable as much
as possible. Is her beard dark at all?
Definitely continue to try & keep her hydrated & once she starts to feel better you can try to get
some food into her. They are usually a little slow to recover after heat injuries.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Poor girly dragon, my heart goes out to her!!! I hope she pulls through this!!!!!
Your dragon depends on you for every aspect in her daily life, if you drop the ball somewhere down the line, it can be deadly or crippling. I am going to try and be as kind as I can while typing this!
No one has asked the obvious questions that need asking.
To avoid this happening again, can you tell us how it happened? Avoidance is the best policy. Sounds to me like your setup is a little off somewhere. This needs to be adjusted or it could happen again!
Can you give us tank size, lights (uvb and basking, brands and wattage), distances from basking spot, cool end temps, warm end temps,and basking temps? I personally am having a hard time wrapping my head around this one.
I have two dragons and I have never left poops in their vivs for more than a couple of hours (unless they hide it...sneaky@#$&:*). I clean them everyday with sanitizer (F10SC), I monitor the temps with probes that read out on digital screens.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope your dragon is getting better & has a full recovery. Let us know how things are going
& we are all pulling for her!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom