Ceftazidime injections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otrobison

I took my 3 month old Lexi to the vet this morning and they diagnosed her with a mild upper respiratory infection and prescribed me to an antibiotic shot named Ceftazidime. I have heard the name of this drug a lot in the reptile community and have been doing some research on it but wanted people's opinions and info on the drug if available, thanks! :wink:

sarac

Hi! My ~3 month old baby is having her last dose of ceftazidime tomorrow. This is my first beardie so I can’t necessarily speak for other experiences, but personally my Lemon did really really well on Ceftazidime! She had 0 side effects. She actually gained a ton of weight (in a good way) and was also on ponazuril for coccidia at the same time. It helped her a ton! I’m not sure what your baby is doing, but if you look at my other posts you can see that I linked YouTube vids to my baby. It was a beard puff and a big gasp for air. It took almost about a month to recover (first few weeks with no ceftazidime) but she is barely even beard puffing anymore. I think other people should chime in because I’m not too experienced, but my experience was great! I was instructed to increase temps at night to about 75-80 with a ceramic heat emitter as well. Maybe just keep track of your beardies daily intake, energy levels, poops and urates.. that’s what I did. I hope your baby recovers well!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon is having some trouble!
Ceftz/or Fortaz is a commonly used antibiotic for a wide range of infections.
It can be harsh on the body's system so I would highly recommend giving a probiotic to help
restore the gut flora. Also, keep your dragon a little warmer overnight, to help boost the immune
system. Usually around 75-80F is a good temperature to keep her at, overnight.

Tracie

Otrobison

Original Poster
sarac":124vkfb9 said:
Hi! My ~3 month old baby is having her last dose of ceftazidime tomorrow. This is my first beardie so I can’t necessarily speak for other experiences, but personally my Lemon did really really well on Ceftazidime! She had 0 side effects. She actually gained a ton of weight (in a good way) and was also on ponazuril for coccidia at the same time. It helped her a ton! I’m not sure what your baby is doing, but if you look at my other posts you can see that I linked YouTube vids to my baby. It was a beard puff and a big gasp for air. It took almost about a month to recover (first few weeks with no ceftazidime) but she is barely even beard puffing anymore. I think other people should chime in because I’m not too experienced, but my experience was great! I was instructed to increase temps at night to about 75-80 with a ceramic heat emitter as well. Maybe just keep track of your beardies daily intake, energy levels, poops and urates.. that’s what I did. I hope your baby recovers well!

I watched the videos and what my baby was doing is very similar. I will e sure to get a ceramic dark bulb to increase temps over night. Thanks so much

Otrobison

Original Poster
Drache613":2ftin50j said:
Hello,

Sorry your dragon is having some trouble!
Ceftz/or Fortaz is a commonly used antibiotic for a wide range of infections.
It can be harsh on the body's system so I would highly recommend giving a probiotic to help
restore the gut flora. Also, keep your dragon a little warmer overnight, to help boost the immune
system. Usually around 75-80F is a good temperature to keep her at, overnight.

Tracie

Just ordered a 50w black fluorescent bulb on amazon, should keep temps a bit higher overnight while keeping viv nice and dark, thanks so much

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, that is good to hear you did get a bulb ordered to help with overnight heating.
How are things going for her now? I hope that she is feeling better, so keep us posted
on how she is doing.

Tracie

Otrobison

Original Poster
Drache613":21qoinvr said:
Hello,

Ok, that is good to hear you did get a bulb ordered to help with overnight heating.
How are things going for her now? I hope that she is feeling better, so keep us posted
on how she is doing.

Tracie

My black soldier fly larvae worms just came in from delivery this morning and she started eating them right away! She hasn’t eaten in 3-4 days so I think it’s a really good sign. She still puffs and gasps after getting worked up from running or being held for some time but besides that she seems to be doing much better and i give her her next shot tomorrow afternoon. She loved the black bulb last night, she slept right under it and got about 82-84F degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom