Beardie Still Won't Eat After Brumation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi everyone,

Please see previous post on Drogon's first time brumating:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=257573

It's been a few weeks since he's been in shut down mode. Super hyper and cuddly, loves affection, but having a problem with appetite. I've been putting out dubias, mealies, mealworm beetles, and supers, but he only picks on a few bugs. He has zero interest in any veg, even his favorites!

Is this still within the realm of normal or should I plan a trip to the vet?
Also, because he's been sleeping on and off since October, I limited my stock of bugs to the few mentioned above. Do you think he's bored and needs some diversity? I was going to pick up some waxworms, BSFL, and crickets from the petstore (my current online places are soldout/closed for holidays).

Thanks for all of your help thus far!
Selkie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Keep track of his weight --- their eating slows down during winter -- keep him hydrated -- as long as hes active and basking keep offering food -- as long as hes not losing weight like a lot he should be fine- hes gonna poop less w/ less food going in -- let him do his thing
Karrie

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Hi there :)

I’ve been right where you are!

Sometimes when my girl wakes up from her typical 5 month brumation, she will act similar to how yours is acting in regards to eating ... and other things too. When she does this, I give her some Bene-Bac probiotic gel - and it has always seemed to help get her back on the eating track. You can get it online - I get my Bene Bac gel from my Chewy app and it’s here in like 2 or 3 days max. You just squeeze some on the tip of the nose - and my dragons usually will lick it off - maybe the gel is tasty - not sure. Or you could gently work the Gel applicator onto the side of his mouth so that some gets inside - and see if he will begin to lick it that way. Same with water - oral hydration has always been crucial for my dragon post brumation.

Things can just take a while to bounce back to “normal” after a solid brumation period ...for mine - sometimes she dives right into eating each year, and some years it takes a while. Bene-Bac Plus (for birds and reptiles) probiotic gel has been a helpful jump start for those years where she’s been - ehhhhh - with things. I always try to think of it like this ... “if I had slept for a “x” amount of months straight, how would I act or feel when I woke up” ?? ... sometimes it just takes a little helpful and caring nudge in the right direction.

Also - and this actually happened this year when my girl woke up a from 5 months of sleeping just few weeks ago - she actually needed to poop before she started eating again.

I always do my best to make sure she has a totally empty tummy before she goes down BUT - unfortunately there have been maybe 2 or 3 times out of her 10 brumations, that it didn’t fully work out that way - (most the food out but not all) - even though I thought I had made sure of it. So, if by chance your beardie wasn’t able to get every bit of waste out and have a good final poop before he went into burmation, he may need some warm baths and tummy rubs to get that going - and he might feel super rejuvenated and the appetite might kick in. My girl definitely did this year!

These are all just things I’ve noticed from experiencing 10 full on deep sleep burmation with my girl Blue - I hope it helps you out! Give those warm baths, give those tummy rubs, give that probiotic gel, and keep doing the food offering - greens more so than not, and some good oral hydration to get that pep back in his step.

I hope this helps you out! Keep us posted! I’d love to here how things are going with him ??

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hi there! Thank you so much for the help!

Today, I provided Drogon with some mixed greens and supers. Of course, he just ate the supers, doesn't have any interest in veg right now, even his faves like red pepper :/

Regarding hydration, Drogon is a cat with scales xD Hates baths and misting, so I gently pulled down his lip and used a syringe to get him started, and he drank a little today. I was keeping a water dish but honestly he makes such a damn mess and doesn't even use it.

And regarding pooping, he has no trouble with that at all :D LOL! He didn't go into a full brumation this year, just napping for 4-5 days, wake up and eat a little, bask, then back down to napping. So, there were times he pooped and is pretty regular.

However, I would like to try the probiotic gel to kickstart his appetite :) I just don't want him to lose calcium/nutrients or water from pickiness. Can you provide the link? I think it's a sign I have to get it because I got a Chewy coupon today :D

Selkie

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah- if you have the Chewy app — type in Bene Bac Plus for and Reptiles, and it’s basically a tube of the gel - like in an applicator to where you can push the gel out. It might have dosing on it - but honestly I just squirt a little a few time on her nose and she licks it up.

The tube/applicator will say Bene Bac Plus .... (for birds and reptiles)

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Another update:

Drogon actually ate a lot of home-grown mealies and supers :)
Ate some lettuce too!

I'll keep an eye on him and if he needs the gel, I'll buy it!

Thanks for your help!
Selkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom