Bearded dragon jumped off bed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a year and a half old bearded dragon named Tony.

He's very healthy and runs around quite often, though he's always been somewhat timid (pet store didn't treat him well), last night I had him on a fleece blanket on my bed and he jumped off, I know it's my fault, he's never had the opportunity to leap because I'd always been watching. I feel bad enough already.

His beard was pitch black instantly and I monitored him for a bit before putting him to bed for the night. He woke up this morning as regular, but his beard was a light tone of black, not fully though, and I felt his body very gently and he squirmed a bit, though I've done it since and he hasn't done it. I took him out earlier and he was running on all fours, and looked happy. But when he's in his habitat, he's just laying in his basking area with his chin down, eyes closed, and not reacting to food, and barely moving. Do you guys think he is just resting? Maybe the fall hurt him and he's recovering? I've never had an unhealthy dragon, or one fall, so this is concerning.
When he's out of the habitat, his beard goes the normal orange and white, but in his habitat it's turning a shade of black.

He also isn't responding to food near his face (he usually likes to be hand fed).

stunna1042

Original Poster
He doesn't have a black beard anymore, I had him out of his habitat for an hour and he ran around the bed (with intervals, like usual), and licked at a cricket I held up to him, but didn't eat it. He refuses to sit anywhere else but his basking spot (high elevation, he's never jumped so I'm not worried he will) and his eyes are still closed, though he's slightly opening one when I call his name.

stunna1042

Original Poster
This picture was taken an hour ago, outside of his habitat... He seems fine outside, but will not eat in general, and will only sit in his basking spot with his chin down and his eyes closed. He is climbing the blanket (there is a hard object under it) so I don't think any of his mobility has been affected.

9zM62Ye.jpg

stunna1042

Original Poster
And this is him all the time while in his habitat, he just closes his eyes, and lays there. His beard isn't black anymore, but he still hasn't eaten a single thing. I messaged my cousin about taking him and I to the vet.

image0.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks very healthy, in those pictures. Tony is a great name!
Has he ever brumated before now? It is a remote possibility that he is trying to brumate,
but, since you mentioned he has been a bit off since jumping off of the bed then there is a
chance that he hurt himself a little bit. He obviously hasn't broken anything but he might
be a little bruised. He is a larger dragon so the weight of him hitting is more of an issue than
if he were a little smaller perhaps.
You do have a vet you could get him to, just to have them look him over? Did he jump onto
a carpeted floor, or a hardwood floor?

Tracie

stunna1042

Original Poster
Drache613":1ddw0sm0 said:
Hello,

He looks very healthy, in those pictures. Tony is a great name!
Has he ever brumated before now? It is a remote possibility that he is trying to brumate,
but, since you mentioned he has been a bit off since jumping off of the bed then there is a
chance that he hurt himself a little bit. He obviously hasn't broken anything but he might
be a little bruised. He is a larger dragon so the weight of him hitting is more of an issue than
if he were a little smaller perhaps.
You do have a vet you could get him to, just to have them look him over? Did he jump onto
a carpeted floor, or a hardwood floor?

Tracie

Thanks for the reply. I called the vet this morning and they said they don't have someone in till Monday, and the closest one for exotics is 4 HOURS, and I can't drive.
I hope it's some sign of brumation but it seems weird that it would happen that quick after falling. His beard is not black anymore, but his ribs are starting to show from not eating. He's had periods before where he's refused food for a good week, but it's everything ontop of the fall I'm worried about.
The floor is hardwood, and he was limp for 2 seconds after he hit, I had thought he passed for a split second then he sprung up.

stunna1042

Original Poster
This is the first time he's ever had any type of injury, this morning he's sitting with his head up, but his eyes closed still. I'm expecting him to return to the head down sleeping position, but he does it while basking like all yesterday, is this normal? Could he be concussed? Could he just have bruised something?

stunna1042

Original Poster
OK, just went to an emergency vet. Feeling a lot better now and I hope he is too.

They gave him Metacam for pain, and couldn't identify fractures/bruising anywhere. I couldn't afford x-rays or blood tests but I don't think they were necessary since he's still walking and there's no way he just happened to show signs of a blood disease right after he fell.

If he doesn't show improvements within 2-3 days I'm going to take him back.

stunna1042

Original Poster
Ok the vet is terrible.

He's clearly broken a rib or something. He winces everytime I even touch close to it, but it's not sticking out so may be a hairline fracture. I cannot afford $240 for xrays alone. Does anyone know if it will heal overtime? He is perched up with a black beard and his eyes closed, it also doesn't help the vet was manhandling him around his ribs.

stunna1042

Original Poster
I just observed him and the same spot where his rib appears to be hurt, was pulsing at least twenty times. I very very carefully took him out and placed him on my bed, for an even elevation.

What should I do!? It's freaking me out and I can't dish out 69$ for the vet, then another 240$ for the xray!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I will respond to your PM sometime today (friday).
So sorry that the vet manhandled your poor dragon, I don't know what on earth is wrong
with these vets sometimes!
Is his beard dark at all right now? I am sure that he is in some pain, especially if he did
either break a rib or at least fracture/crack it to some extent.
Is he interested in eating at all?
How long did the vet prescribe the metacam for?

Tracie

stunna1042

Original Poster
Drache613":1rr0i98m said:
Hello,

I will respond to your PM sometime today (friday).
So sorry that the vet manhandled your poor dragon, I don't know what on earth is wrong
with these vets sometimes!
Is his beard dark at all right now? I am sure that he is in some pain, especially if he did
either break a rib or at least fracture/crack it to some extent.
Is he interested in eating at all?
How long did the vet prescribe the metacam for?

Tracie
He hasn't eaten since the fall, and has shown no interest in it - though he's had even week long periods of denying food before, he was 1''2 or like 1100 grams so I think he's pretty good for another day or so.

The metacam was prescribed for 5 days, though one was given at the vet so there's only 4 left. His beard isn't dark at the moment as he just woke up, but I'm expecting it to change mid-day when the pain starts coming back.

Do ribs heal faster since they're smaller on beardies? He just squirms and the area pulses whenever he puts pressure/moves, so I've removed his perch and placed a nice sweater down for him to relax and sleep on. He still has a small wooden arch that he can elevate on if he needs heat without much energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom