Rescue beardie acting strange

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have this beardie I took in 3 months ago he was close to a month old and i have been slowly working with him. He wasn't in good shape when i got him and he seemed to be doing better until recently. I live in the midwest of the united states so I thought he was starting his brumation period since its colder outside. I proper UVB and UVA bulbs and he has a regular day night cycle. He has plenty of calcium and his tank is at 108 f and on the cooler side 78 f. He is also currently shedding but I've never seen him act like this when he sheds. He is very very lethargic and wont let me give him baths so I let him be. He eats regularly and I always make sure I drop water on him or he drinks when I make him bathe. I'm just a bit concerned cause he had a weird brown lumpy poop that at first I thought was internal organs but he was never impacted or straining as he poops normally every other time. Any idea what it might be? He is skittish and stressed but nothing has changed and I clean his tank every other day.

Edit: when I got him he had parasites and I had him treated for that and it's been a long struggle to get his health back up to check. He is probably only 4 months old now. He sleeps most of the time due to the colder weather but I just dont know. I'm just a very concerned pet owner

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He could be a little dehydrated, since winter is coming on & he isn't real active right now.
What foods is he eating? How long has it been since he has been on medication?
You could try getting oral fluids into him with a plastic dropper or syringe, if he will let
you to see if that helps out. It doesn't sound like he is impacted any.
How long does he bask for? If he isn't basking long enough, he may not be digesting
his food very well, which can cause his stools to be off some.
Shedding can affect them also, but not the stools so much.
Which UVB type/brand are you using?

Tracie

MeepiestMorp190

Original Poster
Drache613":2babtuc9 said:
Hello,

He could be a little dehydrated, since winter is coming on & he isn't real active right now.
You could try getting oral fluids into him with a plastic dropper or syringe, if he will let
How long does he bask for? If he isn't basking long enough, he may not be digesting

Tracie

He eats a mix of tiny Dubia (how ever you spell it) roaches, spinach, and reptile pellets that are veggie and fruit mix but those are on special occasions. He generally doesn't like to bask unless I put him there but he will bask for 5 to 6 hours with the occasional search for food or round to lick the tank. I cant remember which uvb brand but I made sure it wasn't a coil cause I heard they arent that strong. I gave him a bath today when I woke up for work and he drank a lot of his water, he generally does when i give him baths on a daily. I try to make sure he is always hydrated cause we had a dehydration problem where he was too terrified of water to drink it for the 1st month I had him. I feel it may just be brumation and a mix of his shed though.

MeepiestMorp190

Original Poster
Drache613":x5njkzcu said:
Hello,

Tracie

He eats a mix of tiny Dubia (how ever you spell it) roaches, spinach, and reptile pellets that are veggie and fruit mix but those are on special occasions. He generally doesn't like to bask unless I put him there but he will bask for 5 to 6 hours with the occasional search for food or round to lick the tank. I cant remember which uvb brand but I made sure it wasn't a coil cause I heard they arent that strong. I gave him a bath today when I woke up for work and he drank a lot of his water, he generally does when i give him baths on a daily. I try to make sure he is always hydrated cause we had a dehydration problem where he was too terrified of water to drink it for the 1st month I had him. I feel it may just be brumation and a mix of his shed though.

Edit: he hasn't been on medications for up to a month and a half it was to treat pinworms

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
Shedding definitely causes some crazy behavior, but hopefully he will get through it here
soon. If he has been off of medication for that long then his system should have cleared
out by now I would think.
That is good to hear he did drink a good amount of water. Brumation is a stressful time for
us all, they can really worry us. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

MeepiestMorp190

Original Poster
UPDATE he is doing a lot better I switched up his tank a bit by putting his favorite rock on the cool side so he can sit on it with a hammock. And his second hammock and his other rock on the other side so that way he doesn't feel obligated to sit in his hide so he isnt in the light. He is completely done shedding now and is back to his crazy eating habits and is craving much more attention now. Thank you for all the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom