Metacam and Beardie Behaviour!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! Yesterday I got home and Hades (~3 months old) was limping and refusing to put weight on his back leg. I took him to the vet today as he was limping. X-rays show no fracture and he was given a shot of metacam. He was given 5 more doses to take for the next 5 days. His appetite upon getting home is regular but he seems lethargic and out of it. I’m thinking that it’s just because of the drugs combined with his stressful day, but I still can’t help but worry about my baby.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour? And is it normal?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The metacam has a tendency to cause lethargic behavior on a lot of the reptiles. Do you know the dose
of the medication he was given?
Did he fall & hurt himself or do you know what he hurt himself on possibly?
You can try keeping him a little warmer overnight, to help his body metabolize the medication faster. Usually
around 78-80 overnight is just fine.
It is a anti-inflammatory so it isn't designed for long term use. I hope he is feeling better soon.
What UVB light are you using, a compact/coil light or a long fluorescent tube bulb?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

colleen1999

Original Poster
Drache613":1czw8ftb said:
Hello,

The metacam has a tendency to cause lethargic behavior on a lot of the reptiles. Do you know the dose
of the medication he was given?
Did he fall & hurt himself or do you know what he hurt himself on possibly?
You can try keeping him a little warmer overnight, to help his body metabolize the medication faster. Usually
around 78-80 overnight is just fine.
It is a anti-inflammatory so it isn't designed for long term use. I hope he is feeling better soon.
What UVB light are you using, a compact/coil light or a long fluorescent tube bulb?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Thank you for getting back to me! That’s what I thought. His dose is 0.5 mg/ml for the next five days. Not sure of the dose he was given today via injection but the vet did say it was a larger one to start him off. I don’t have a clue what he could’ve hurt himself on. He is favouring his left back leg when he walks - there’s no swelling or anything so I’m thinking he may have fell or something when I wasn’t around and strained it. He has a ReptiSun T8 10.0 that is mounted on the inside of his 40 gal cage and a 150 watt basking bulb :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Most beardies get over a leg strain/sprain pretty quickly without pain meds. so he should do just fine. Metacam may cause nausea, lethargy and dizziness so watch for those symptoms.

colleen1999

Original Poster
AHBD":2il0ncdj said:
Most beardies get over a leg strain/sprain pretty quickly without pain meds. so he should do just fine. Metacam may cause nausea, lethargy and dizziness so watch for those symptoms.

Awesome! Thank you. Still lethargic today but has a big appetite. Will keep this thread updated!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today? It may take a few days but do keep him a little extra hydrated, if you
can. How many more doses does he have, just a couple?
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

colleen1999

Original Poster
Drache613":tfwwbfq6 said:
Hello,

How is he doing today? It may take a few days but do keep him a little extra hydrated, if you
can. How many more doses does he have, just a couple?
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Hades is doing a little better today. Is putting more weight on his legs even though he’s still limping slightly. Only 3 more doses of the metacam left! This is the first time that I’ve seen him hold himself up with his front legs to bask since his injury. Still pooping and eating regularly! He had a bath this morning and drank some water in there. :)

109111-2597122528.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh what a sweet looking little one, he appears very happy! :love5:
Hopefully his leg continues to improve.
I am glad to hear he is feeling a bit better now. Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom