Tail Rot? Stinky wound on tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcallah

Hello, my bearded dragon Mick has had stuck shed on his tail for a a couple of years now. I wasn’t too worried about it since it was just on top of the tail, not wrapped around it.

However, yesterday it started to come off in flakes. I noticed there was a barely noticeable bad smell, and realized it was coming from his tail. Where the stuck shed was it looks red and irritated. The tip of his tail looks shrunken and like a chunk of it has been taken out.

https://ibb.co/Z690SGL

I’m worried that he has an infection or maybe even tail rot. I believe a piece of his tail may have fallen off a few years ago, but it never smelled bad or looked as inflamed as his tail does now.

I put some antibiotic cream on the wound and the rest of where his tail looks red, but I’m wondering if I should take him to the vet?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that he's acting normal, besides not really eating much. I recently changed his diet from mostly pellets and freeze dried insects to salads comprised of red bell peppers, collard greens, and leafy green lettuce.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Here is a website for a reptile vet I recommend you get him in ASAP - your smelling infection and it looks like its creeping up the tail --- it will get into his organs and the end result will not be what you want it -- the will probably amputate where they need to - right about where its red is my guess
www.arav.org
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to say but that is a bad infection and will need amputation as Karrie mentioned. Find a good vet ASAP , they shuold cut extra above where the wound is too get it all because it will be spreading up the tail iunder the scales before you can see it. Beardies usually do well with amputation on their tail but you don't want to wait. Please update when you can.

kmcallah

Original Poster
Hey, so I called the vet today and they're going to see him today as an emergency visit. I'll edit this post once I go and get news.

kmcallah

Original Poster
So I had to put old Mick down. They said that his tail up to above his pelvis was soft and limp and was probably necrotic all the way through. I should’ve gotten him checked a long time ago, but there is little accessible information online when I google “soft and limp bearded dragon tail.” I wish I had better news for those interested, but unfortunately I don’t. Up until today he’s been acting completely normal except for his tail being limp and now infected. I hope someone else can read my story and get their beardie help before it’s too late.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am sorry---- :cry: --- we lose a lot of beardies on this forum--- I wish people would seek help sooner -- we tried --- it is hard to lose them - :(
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, I'm so very sorry about poor Mick. :( I'm sure it was a terrible shock for you and nothing can ease the sadness when these things happen. My heart goes out to you, hang in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom