Swollen back leg, white spot, and cut on tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthonyg10

Hello everyone,
My bearded dragon Don Julio has a cut on his tail which I think he got by getting bit by one of my dogs ( father doesn’t want to tel me how it happened) while I was not home. His cut is not deep but has been releasing puss but not anymore since I’ve put some ointment referred by the pet shop I bought it from. Because of the cut he has a white spot next to his tail in between is back leg. He also had a swollen leg, he uses it to walk but you can tell it’s not the same, and it hurts him when touched. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
108847-9510418484.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, if you're sure that it's swollen and not getting better you might want a vet to see it. He might need antibiotics. BTW, can you post a pic from above to show both back legs ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That looks like it hurts, definitely. How long ago did your dog bite him? Have you secured
the area so that he doesn't get bitten again?
Try getting some raw unpasteurized honey to put on that area as suggested but if possible,
taking him into the vet is a good idea. Infections from cat or dog bites can get infected.
Is he eating anything?

Tracie

Anthonyg10

Original Poster
Drache613":3044v9hw said:
Hello,

That looks like it hurts, definitely. How long ago did your dog bite him? Have you secured
the area so that he doesn't get bitten again?
Try getting some raw unpasteurized honey to put on that area as suggested but if possible,
taking him into the vet is a good idea. Infections from cat or dog bites can get infected.
Is he eating anything?

Tracie

He got bit around 2 weeks ago I believe. Yes it is secured my dad had him outside with him with the dogs but he has his own cage and all. I’m thinking of taking him to the vet. He is eating but not like before. He use to eat way more.

Anthonyg10

Original Poster
AHBD":v1oft7bh said:
Hi there, if you're sure that it's swollen and not getting better you might want a vet to see it. He might need antibiotics. BTW, can you post a pic from above to show both back legs ?

It wasn’t swollen at first but I noticed yesterday is was. It’s been 2 weeks since the accident. So I think best choice is to take him to the vet. I will take a pic of him later on to show the difference.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, it does sound like the leg is infected. Since his appetite is off, he may not be
feeling 100%.
Is he basking for a good portion of the day?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Hello,

This swelling looks something like cellulitis. Its a soft tissue infection can happen anywhere from any entry point of the body- could have happened well after the time of the injury (hence now suddenly swelling). Looking at this photo, it definitely suggests that it's taken into the leg, the bacteria having entered most likely from the wound on the tail

If it is infact cellulitis, antibiotics are certainly needed- Get him to a vet, he should start to improve after a course of meds (please also order some probiotics from Tracie's site too to help keep his tummy flora well if he does go on antibiotics as they can really muddle up their systems !)

Of course, if any of the vets/mods wish to correct me- i know that comparing human body systems to dragons is almost like comparing apples to meatballs :lol: but at the minimum please take this boy to a vet to confirm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom