Throw up, white poop, small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ares315

So my baby beardie just passed a white poop. Not urate. It wa a normal urate with liquid, off-white poop.

He also throws up whenever he eats too much or too fast. He is 7 months old.

His name is Juno. He is my second beardie, but not my second reptile. I also have Mars my other beardie, then 2 leopard geckos, 2 frogs, a chameleon (just got him), a fish, and 2 Great Danes (dogs).

My new chameleon is passing normal stools, though he needs to get a fecal done like any new reptile.

Juno has never been tested for parasites.

His setup:

Temps:

basking: 105 at hottest point.
warm side ambient: 90
middle ambient: 80
cool ambient: 75-72

Decor:

fake pants, cave for hiding, natural driftwood branches to climb and bask on. he can get 10 inches away from the uvb, 8 inches from basking light. reticarpet substrate, with 2 food dishes and a shallow water bowl.

Lighting:

2 150 watt bulbs, a 10.0 reptisun florescent tube bulb t5ho reflector hood.

Recent history: Recently ate a boiled egg as a thanksgiving treat, along with a couple freshly shed supers (hes not quite big enough for them.. but I made sure they had shed their hard exoskeleton)

He vomited every single on up today, along with the white poop.

At first he had a soft and mucusy, but not liquid, normal colored poops. then the day after a normal poop. then today an off white, liquid, mucusy, odor less, poop.

side note: I believe he has been chewing on his plastic plants. tiny green specs of green plastic in his throwup today.

I also think the throwing up could be affecting his growth. he Is 7 months but 10-12 inches long. still small. Purchased from PetSmart, he was the biggest one there. he has been in my care for five months.

I cannot get to the vet for a few days. I have a vet that has experience with beardies. mMy other beardie, mars, just recently got two tail amputations. So they are good at what they do. ( I have other accounts that I forgot the passwords on. He was the one I was asking about weight An orange colored leather back)

sorry if my info is all jumbled up and patchy, its early and im typing fast. :?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pictures:

White poop:
106707-3012656816.jpg

throwup:
106707-4867462725.jpg

Juno:
106707-2059764136.jpg
106707-2832387225.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Why do you have 2 150 watt basking bulbs ---- and how are you taking those temps? It seems 2 150 watt bulbs in the tank would be way too hot ---- how big is the tank?
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to hear this about Juno. I wondered about the heat as well, although it sounds like you're taking really good care of him. A few things stand out and you already know, the fake plants must go right away, no hesitation. Hopefully he got it out of his system. Second, those supers look the color of regular ones that have not shed but at any rtate thaat and the eggs + plastic were all complicit in his trouble. How much of the egg did he eat ? That will give my beardies a bit of the same type of poo that you have pictured. So Juno should be fine , let him rest + give him oral hydration , dripping water on his snout. See how he does in the next couple of days, he should bounce back. :) Keep him off the supers for now, or just 1 newly shed one at a time but use other bugs as his staple.

Ares315

Original Poster
He is in a 40 gallon front opening cage.

His staple feeders are crickets gut loaded with apples oranges and bug-burger. I just gave him some egg and supers as a thanksgiving treat lol.

I use the Spyder robotics thermostats for both beardies as I don't trust the cheaper ones. His temps wouldn't get near to enough with just one so I got two. The thermostat has tons of digital controls and it dims it when too hot. They are 150 bucks a pop but are worth the money. I have it set so that it slowly declines over the course of the last hour of basking. It keeps the temps in check with the dimming, and it tells you what the temperature is.

I give him water every other day with a eye dropper. He loves swimming in the bathtub, and sometimes sleep in his water bowl. hes my water-loving boy. Mars hates everything to do with water.

And he's been throwing up the whole time ive had him. Whether its eating too fast or too much or for no real reason. I have to feed him very slowly, like 3 feeders a minute so he doesn't vomit. He seems really tiny for 7 months, hes only 85 grams. Mars was 110 at 7 months.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If he's had the plastic plants all this time then that's likely the reason. At least he's keeping SOME food down because he's not terribly thin. I think 300 watts of light is still too hot though, especially in a 40 gal. tank. Buy a simple garden thermometer at Walmart / Lowe's and pop that in there to see what it reads.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Also oranges and citrus of any type should not be fed --- you can also get a digital probe from Petsmart or Petco for $5 to get temps and I agree 2 150 bulbs in a 40 gallon tank is too hot --- I have a 150 watt on my 120 gallon tank and it keeps temps just fine--- I would also get a infrared heat gun from your local home improvement store for around $10 --- they too are most accurate for taking basking temps
Karrie

Ares315

Original Poster
According to a digital thermometer is reads at 105.1, and I removed the small plastic plants he was chewing on.

And the bulbs are actually 100watts, I found the packaging in the closet. I got it mixed up with mars who has one 150 watt.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Digital thermometer with a probe ? If so, is the probe in the tank all the time poor do you set it in at times to get the temp., if so for how long ?

Ares315

Original Poster
Lets start over.

The thermostat I have is a digital one. It connects directly to the source and has a probe that both tell you the temps, and dims it as nessecary. technically, I don't need a second thing to read temps.

For the digital, its not in there all the time because the thermostat does both. it is a probe. I leave it in the for ten-fifteen minutes, or when it stops going up for five minutes, then I use that temperature.

sorry if that sounded passive aggressive, its not meant to be :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Despite how expensive something is, it still has the capacity to fail, or read inaccurately :)

AHBD is just trying to make sure that you at least have a second means of measuring (it's really what we recommend for everybody) seeing as the issue you are having right now can directly be related to temperatures. And the only reason we are pressing the issue, is because 2 100w bulbs still is quite a bit. For instance, I use a 40w bulb in my 4x2x2s and that is almost too hot. But obviously everyones setups are different, but it is still worth it for us to at least verify with you.

If your temps were too hot, your dragon wouldn't be basking as much as it might need to. But, since you have verified it with two sources, you should be fine :)

Like AHBD mentioned sometimes egg can do that, sometimes diet changes can do that. If it doesn't happen often, and only happened after the egg, then I would say it's a safe assumption to think that the egg didn't sit well with your dragon.

Good for removing the plants though if he seems to be eating them. They might have been messing up his stomach too.

Either way, now that we've verified your husbandry is up to par, all there is to do now is just keep an eye on him and make sure he gets back to normal :)

-Brandon

Ares315

Original Poster
Thank you! I wasn't trying to argue lol, ive just used these thermostats for almost 4 years and they have always worked great. Ill keep the digital probe in there.

But if everything else is fine... why is he throwing up all the time? Like all the time? at least 2-3 times a week? A girl can only buy so many paper towels lol

I wont give him anymore eggs. I just wanted to let him try it as a treat, since Mars really likes it ( though he normally only gets it on his birthday, or holidays)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's ok, I didn't think you were being argumentative. Text can always be interpreted weird ways :)

I wasn't aware that he was throwing up all the time. I was under the impression that it happened only once, after the egg.

Did you see him actually throw up? I only ask because the picture of the worms, looks more like a bowel movement than throwup. A few times some of mine have passed a stool really qiuckly after eating and the mealies/superworms come out looking like that.

Mealworms and supers are a bit harder to digest, so if they come out of the system too quick, it will look like that.

Are those mealworms or supers?
How many does he typically eat per day?
And if he's eating them too quick, have you tried to give him 1 at a time and checked to see if that remedies the problem?

But if the fake plants have been getting munched on for awhile, it's a good possibility that those chemicals in them were upsetting his stomach and causing him some issues. It will be a good test at least to see now that they are gone.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm not offended at all , I can see how worried + frustrated you are. We all do try to get to the bottom of a problem with lots of Q's and we miss things at times too like the fact you mentioned right away that he's been vomiting since you got him. That is def. a serious problem. You might see about a fecal exam ASAP to check for parasites that might be the problem.

Ares315

Original Poster
Ive had him for 5 months. I have never really seen him vomit, but the supers are not even partially digested. Its as if he ate them, they went down, and came right back up. He always throws up within the day, most of the time within the hour or two. Sometimes it takes a few days, then I find super worms piece spewed everywhere, as if he's shaking his head around, because believe me when I say its everywhere. He never acts sick, loves swimming, bright eyes, decent weight. When I feed him slowly it doesn't happen at all, so I suppose thats what im gonna have to do.

also, that bit in the throwup that looks like urate was a chunk of egg.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They do sling their head side to side when they vomit. It would be best to stop feeding him superworms for sure, then you can rule those out. They are convenient + easy to keep but you need to be sure about what's making him vomit. That's one easy step , to rule out the supers. Try medium [ not large ! ] crickets , dubia + bsfl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom