Swollen beardie arm with some blood and puss???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my bearded dragon Mahavi to the vet yesterday but only had $80 so I couldn’t get X-rays done on him. He had mites on him so I cleaned him in betadine and the vet told me to do this twice a day for 10 minutes. Since the notes he’s had a swollen right arm that bleeds occasionally. It’s not from a fall. Only high thing he has in his cage is this hammock. His arm isn’t painful to touch. He’ll let me squeeze some puss out while he’s in the bath but I’m still gentle. Anyone experience this? One of his toes are dark brown (vet said it’s dead and would have to come off eventually) but the rest of the arm is fine. If I put crickets in his tank he’ll drag his arm when he runs to eat them. Anyone had this happen with their beardie??? Anything I can do until I have money for an X-ray? Help!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

It does look like it got injured somehow. Could a cricket have bitten it?

You can use some raw unpasteurized honey on the wound. It's a great anti-bacterial. If you can get manuka honey even better. But if you do this, you have to make sure that no insects are left overnight in the tank as they will eat at the honey and your dragon, making it worse.

I'd apply it after your betadine soaks.
Did the vet not say anything about the open wound and pus?

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did the vet run a test for an infection in the arm? I would be concerned if the arm is infected it could spread and cause problems if not treated.

allykanyce

Original Poster
The vet said she couldn’t test for infection or do anything until I got that X-ray. She said the puss coming out was good and gave him a metabolism medicine that I have to squirt in his mouth for 3 days. It’s possible a cricket could have bit him. Sometimes I leave w few excess in there for him later. Other than betadine and honey, any other short term care? Plan on getting him back into the vet in two weeks. Just don’t want him to take a turn until then or be really uncomfortable! He acts normal like it doesn’t bother him.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that it doesn't seem to be bothering him. Perhaps it's possible his hand/nails got caught in something like the mesh hammock. Try to keep the arm clean. I would also try to make him comfortable by putting something soft down like fleece to lessen impact on the arm. Make things like basking areas, food, and hides easily accessible so he doesn't have to move the arm much if possible. Hopefully the vet can get it sorted out for you on the next visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom