Tail rot? Please someone help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted last week and Kaylee responded (thank you Kaylee!). I’m on again bc my beardie’s tail hasn’t improved. Can anyone weigh in here as to whether you think it’s tail rot??
104996-6833878108.jpg
104996-5404440244.jpg
104996-6519502625.jpg

The photo outside was taken of the bottom of is tail (the underside). He’s almost 8. Hasn’t been bitten. There is a kink at the end of the tail which he got as a hatchling. It was caught in the lid of his cage.

Desperate for answers and guidance. Thanks!!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it almost certainly isn't. Sometimes a VERY dark tail end can be infection lurking under the scales but is usually just a natural dark tail end. Post a couple more pics while his tail is dry [ no ointment on it either ] and against a light colored background, not white though.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you have close ups like the first 2 pics but without the tail being wet?

My first thought would be no, especially if there has been no damage to the area recently and he's been living with that kink for 8 years. But, Tail rot can creep up from the inside out.

Sometimes the tips of the tail can just darken for reasons, but it typically goes away. Does it stay dark even when he's sleeping?

-Brandon

Thomasthebeardie

Original Poster
Thank you for responding! I am actually away for the next 4 days. My husband is home with him. But I’ll post more pictures when I get home. The tail is definitely only dark on the top. Yes, it’s dark all the time- daytime and nighttime when he’s asleep. My concern/question is this has never happened before? It’s been more than a week. If it’s not tail rot, what could it be?

Thomasthebeardie

Original Poster
His cage got very hot when this first happened- we were gone overnight and had the air conditioner off. I thought he was hot and we turned one of his lights off for a bit while we adjusted the heat in the house. We also take him out a lot - he gets a lot of attention. So maybe that’s it? We’ve been back and forth to our summer home out of state? He wasn’t injured in any way and I honestly can’t imagine what else would be upsetting him? He’s actually super laid back - very lazy! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom