Beardie won't eat and is VERY skinny!

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Re: Beardie won't eat and is VERY skinny!

Postby Drache613 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 am

Hello,

Do you have any pictures of your dragon along with the tank setup that we could see?
How many hours of heat & light does he receive daily & how are you measuring his
temperatures?
We normally recommend waiting to feed superworms for them, until they are at least 6
months of age so that they can fully digest them. He is probably around 6 months or so
now, correct?
Superworms are fine to be fed, as long as they are fed with other protein sources too like
dubias or crickets, or even silkworms & hornworms.

Tracie
Drache613

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby BeardedMabel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:25 am

does he go everyday?
BeardedMabel
Hatchling Poster

Postby Kaelwizard » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:44 pm

He doesn't go everyday because of lack of time to digest that I talked about in the first post. I am going to start feeding him before school too. I just don't have a lot of time to do it. He has time to bask during the whole day from 6:00 to about 9:30 (on school days). On weekends at the most it would be like 7:30 to about 10:30 or 11:00.
Kaelwizard
Hatchling Poster

Postby Gormagon » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:28 pm

Kaelwizard wrote:He doesn't go everyday because of lack of time to digest that I talked about in the first post. I am going to start feeding him before school too. I just don't have a lot of time to do it. He has time to bask during the whole day from 6:00 to about 9:30 (on school days). On weekends at the most it would be like 7:30 to about 10:30 or 11:00.

You might need to invest in a timer to keep his daylight schedule steady. You can get them rather inexpensively at lowes or walmart. I use the ones that you push the buttons in to set the time.
With your schedule it, sounds like you need to feed him in the morning and, leave a good salad in the viv to get him over the hump. Just remember not to feed him after 7:30 pm if lights go out at 9:30.

Charlie's is set for 6am to 8pm and never deviates. So far he is happy as a pig in slop, LOL!!! "Other than he doesn't really like me yet, LOL!!!" He will be 5 months old next week and, is 16" long.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

Postby Kaelwizard » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:56 am

Maybe I should get a timer. That way he can go to sleep with the lights out at the same time everyday.
Kaelwizard
Hatchling Poster

Postby Kaelwizard » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:00 pm

He still has refused food so far. I will update later.

Edit: Nvm. He ate some dubia roaches.
Kaelwizard
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:41 am

how is he doing now? Is he eating the dubias?
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby Kaelwizard » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:24 am

No he is not. We want to take him to a vet but we are afraid it will scare him. He used to be a great eater and was active but it is like he flipped a switch. Everything about him just changed.
Kaelwizard
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:37 am

Please post some pics of your tank and lighting--- it really plays a huge role in their eating digesting and overall health-- if he is still losing weight he won't last long if he's a baby
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby Kaelwizard » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Flash:
[Click image to enlarge]

Basking light:
[Click image to enlarge]

Tank (getting him a 40 gallon soon):
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

He also has a Reptisun t5 tube.
Kaelwizard
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:49 pm

Is the T5 a 5.0 HO or a T 5 10.0 tube? Difference is stregnth of tube? Is your UVB on top of screen or in tank ? Sorry I can't tell- my guess it's your UVB he's not getting the rays he needs- that would cause him not to eat
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby Kaelwizard » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:58 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Is the T5 a 5.0 HO or a T 5 10.0 tube? Difference is stregnth of tube? Is your UVB on top of screen or in tank ? Sorry I can't tell- my guess it's your UVB he's not getting the rays he needs- that would cause him not to eat
Karrie

It is on top. Can't really put it anywhere else. As far as I remember it is a 5.0. Honestly I think all that screen top stuff is overly cautious. The light should be plenty strong enough to get as much UVB in there as he needs. That is just what I think anyway. If UVB can get through the ozone layer it can get through a screen top. I'm not trying to turn this into a debate. Besides. He got this way after we got the light. His basking light is an all in one too.
Kaelwizard
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:46 pm

I would say the 5.0 is not strong enough---- what size tank? If its a smaller tank take the screen off and see what he does-- he really needs to start eating soon --- he doesnt look good to me
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby Kaelwizard » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:48 pm

KarrieRee wrote:I would say the 5.0 is not strong enough---- what size tank? If its a smaller tank take the screen off and see what he does-- he really needs to start eating soon --- he doesnt look good to me
Karrie

He is in a 20 gallon. Might be able to get a tank tomorrow or sometime this week. I have no where to put his UVB light without the screen on though.
Kaelwizard
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:51 pm

Since it's a 20 gallon take the screen off and lay it vertical or back to front if fixture is long enough or straddle it from side to back -- kitywampus-- if that works you can build his area up to the bulb--- take the cover off the bulb--- you want him 8-10 inches from spot
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

PreviousNext

Return to Beardie ER