Vent cancer? Abcsess? *pic*

Status
Not open for further replies.
100859-4902086970.jpg
Hi! My poor baby Mr superhands has co
100859-4902086970.jpg
me up with a very strange problem.

His vent seems to have a large lump that oozes pus and is quite large. He has been taken to the vet and is currently on antibiotics but we're a little puzzled over what it is

Has anybody ever seen this before ?

This lizard means the whole world to me and I'm very scared of losing him

His set up is:

4ft X 2ft X 2ft wooden vivarium
Slade title no loose substrate
37° hot spot with a thermostat hooked up
10% UVB strip bulb

He is eating dubias, crickets, locusts and a mixed leaf salad

He weighs 570 grams and is just a year old

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
:? That doesn't look good! Is he still eating/acting normal? Can your vet take a sample and test for cancer? Maybe the vet could remove it through surgery, but it can be expensive and surgery on a reptile (or any animal) comes with risk. I'm so sorry that your baby is going through this :cry: !

Superhands

Original Poster
HerpGirl":31y0xfn9 said:
:? That doesn't look good! Is he still eating/acting normal? Can your vet take a sample and test for cancer? Maybe the vet could remove it through surgery, but it can be expensive and surgery on a reptile (or any animal) comes with risk. I'm so sorry that your baby is going through this :cry: !

He's eating and acting fine! I'm thinking it might be his hemipenes ? Maybe one is out of place!

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
Superhands":ajsynfue said:
HerpGirl":ajsynfue said:

He's eating and acting fine! I'm thinking it might be his hemipenes ? Maybe one is out of place!

Hmm, that would make sense. Could the puss be se**n? (replaced a few letters for young readers :wink: ). PM me with any questions you have!

Superhands

Original Poster
HerpGirl":3lvs640o said:
Superhands":3lvs640o said:

Hmm, that would make sense. Could the puss be se**n? (replaced a few letters for young readers :wink: ). PM me with any questions you have!
Superhands":3lvs640o said:

I reckon the pus could be a infection caused by the prolapse? The infection is much less red and angry then it was when he started his antibiotics!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh poor boy. I agree, I think it is a bit of a prolapse.
Give cool sugar water baths daily to try & reduce the swelling. You can get some raw,
unpasteurized honey to put on the more raw area, to help with healing. You can also use
KY jelly to keep the area moisturized.
Which antibiotics is he on?
If it is draining puss if it is infected, then it does need to be kept clean daily.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Superhands

Original Poster
Drache613":1mdn5enx said:
Hello,

Oh poor boy. I agree, I think it is a bit of a prolapse.
Give cool sugar water baths daily to try & reduce the swelling. You can get some raw,
unpasteurized honey to put on the more raw area, to help with healing. You can also use
KY jelly to keep the area moisturized.
Which antibiotics is he on?
If it is draining puss if it is infected, then it does need to be kept clean daily.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

He's on Fortum! He is taking an injection once every 3 days, the area was much worse looking before the medicine so I think it is helping. I've sent these pictures to my vet and hopefully we can get a proper confirmation! Fingers crossed!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that's his hemipene. Has he been black bearded lately + maybe trying to mate with stuff ? An experienced reptile vet could probably guide it back in easily.

Superhands

Original Poster
AHBD":3f1hbj8j said:
Hi there, that's his hemipene. Has he been black bearded lately + maybe trying to mate with stuff ? An experienced reptile vet could probably guide it back in easily.

Thank you! I'll keep you all informed when the vet gets back to me,

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The tissue itself still looks healthy. Hopefully if there was some type of infection it is going down. BTW, a reptile having 2 hemipenes can actually still mate even if it loses one. There's still another one left. I don't think he'll lose it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom