URGENT: Blood blister over my Beardie's left eye getting big

Status
Not open for further replies.

paislee619

A couple of months ago my male Beardie got into a fight with another male Beardie. The other male Beardie was considerably larger and my Beardie got hurt pretty bad. What started out as a laceration between his left nostril and left eye, after weeks of scraping against his log has now turned into a blood blister which is getting worse. It's HUGE and it's starting to consume his eye. I drain it daily using a diabetic syringe which seems to bring him much relief when I do but it just keeps filling up again. He's not eating and he's lost ALOT of weight. I'm actually having to force feed him because I don't want him to die. I can't afford to take him to a vet and if he does die I will just be devastated! Has anyone ever heard of such an injury and can anyone offer me advice on what to do? I'm so thankful I found this forum and I anxiously wait for someone's reply. I wanted to post pictures but I don't know how to do that here.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh boy, that's too bad. :( Be sure they are never together again. Can you see about getting a friend to loan you some money or apply for a care credit card that a vet would accept ? For now put some unpasteurized honey on it, it's safe even directly in the eye. It mat sting a bit if it goes in the eye but it is safe [ used it on my own dragon to clear up an infection ] You dilute the raw honey with 2-3 parts warm water + apply 2-3 X a day.

But he probably should be seen by a reptile vet ASAP, there's a reason that the blister keeps filling up. Take all logs, rocks, branches [ anything rough ] out of his tank + replace with a rolled up towel as a basking area. With my one dragon's eye problem I made a { pirate patch " gauze dressing over the eye and it healed within 4-5 days. Yours sound worse but it may be good if you could do something similar. Here's how to post pics, ones of his eye also his entire body :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, please do post pictures for us. Are you sure it has not developed into an abscess since
it was a bite injury?
This will definitely need some medical intervention for him. How much weight has he lost
overall?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If this injury is now an abscess , honey wont cut it wrt to curing it. Antibiotics are needed and to get the most effective antibiotic the vet needs to take a small needle aspiration of the pus and do sensitivity testing.
it is likely the vet will need to open up the abscess and drain it and debride the surrounding tissues as part of the treatment,

The risk is this can escalate very fast to a full blown systemic infection / blood poisoning if not treated adequately. I think time is of the essence here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom