Burned Tail!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help! My 6 week old beardie seems to have burned his tail and back toes?! He has been hiding under his log all day, I figured he was just feeling over stimulated from a busy weekend. When I got him out on my lunch this afternoon I didn’t notice anything ( we did sit outside in the sun on my lunch but the underside of his tail wasn’t exposed) but tonight I noticed the underside of his tail and the top of his back toes look very red! Is it possible for them to get burned by the CHE or basking light? They’re sitting on top the lid, about 6ish inches away from his log, he likes to sit with his tail curved upwards, so my guess is that that puts his tail too close, causing it to get burned. I have a 150watt CHE because the 100watt wasn’t getting to the right temp, now the warm side sits at 100f degrees. It was a major battle getting the perfect temp(the original red light plus two different watt CHEs) so I’m hesitant to make any adjustments but I’m thinking it’s time to lift it a little higher above his tank, however I’m worried that if I do, I’ll have issues maintaining the right temp. Any advice? Also how do I treat a burned tail??!! He is my first reptile, he is ridiculously spoiled, I just absolutely adore him and want to do anything possible to keep him as happy as possible. And a burned tail is *not* a happy thing!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry to hear your baby may have some burns!
Do you have any pictures we could see?
The underside of his tail is burned, correct? Do you have an undertank heater? The 6 inches
might be a bit close, can you move it a little further away? The temperatures sound fine, are you
using a digital probe or temp gun to measure his temperatures?
How is his appetite doing?
To treat burns you can get some silver gel, or aloe vera gel daily. Do keep it clean to help cut
down the chance of infection.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

ToothlessTheBeardie

Original Poster
Drache613":33wf5qta said:
Hello,

So sorry to hear your baby may have some burns!
Do you have any pictures we could see?
The underside of his tail is burned, correct? Do you have an undertank heater? The 6 inches
might be a bit close, can you move it a little further away? The temperatures sound fine, are you
using a digital probe or temp gun to measure his temperatures?
How is his appetite doing?
To treat burns you can get some silver gel, or aloe vera gel daily. Do keep it clean to help cut
down the chance of infection.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

I’ll upload some pics on my lunch if he allows it, he ran away from me this morning when I went to give him morning pets :(
No Undertank heater, I read all bad things about those.
The temp gauge is a digital probe near the top of his tank.
He didn’t touch his greens mixture at all last night but that’s nothing abnormal, but only ate two crickets, however they were on the almost to big for him side.
I’ll pick up some aloe gel today, would coolish baths help? Or would that be too much of a shock to his system?

ToothlessTheBeardie

Original Poster
I just had an idea! He got to run around on our trampoline Sunday. It was about 65f outside but could the black of the trampoline made it too hot and burned him? I hate to think I caused this!! I’m so worried about him. He absolutely did not want to be touched this no morning. ?

ToothlessTheBeardie

Original Poster
102856-3205560055.jpg

102856-3834872143.jpg

102856-2602324314.jpg

102856-8318524863.jpg

I hope I did that right! I got some silver spray? The only aloe I could find was in a bottle big enough for him to swim in! I’m kinda freaking out right now cause half his take looks black!! Did I totally f**k up here and ruin his chances at a normal life? Is his tail gonna fall off?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's hard to believe that it's a burn. Are you positive that he wasn't on a pink substrate before you got him ? But if this is a burn, the aloe should help or some silver sulfadiazene cream as well. It would have bubbled or blistered if it was severe so it may just be like a sunburn . The tail should be O.K, the dark part is normal.

Is he eating today ? That's always a good sign. And yes, you can put him in cool water but do that in his tank without handling him too much. Just get a small plastic container that he can sit in right while he's in his tank. After he sits for a while let him dry off, then apply the cream. I think he'll be fine though.

ToothlessTheBeardie

Original Poster
AHBD said:
It's hard to believe that it's a burn. Are you positive that he wasn't on a pink substrate before you got him ? But if this is a burn, the aloe should help or some silver sulfadiazene cream as well. It would have bubbled or blistered if it was severe so it may just be like a sunburn . The tail should be O.K, the dark part is normal.

Is he eating today ? That's always a good sign. And yes, you can put him in cool water but do that in his tank without handling him too much. Just get a small plastic container that he can sit in right while he's in his tank. After he sits for a while let him dry off, then apply the cream. I think he'll be fine though.[/quot/]

No, my cousin had him on reptile carpet like I have. And I have had him for 2 weeks now and never noticed the redness until now.
I got some silver spray to put on him. He seems to be in a better mood this afternoon but only ate 4 crickets, however they were the “bottom of the barrel” larger ones as my shipment hasn’t come in yet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds like he'll be O.K. Just watch that you don't leave a single loose cricket in the tank, [ check under the carpet ] they can nibble on reptiles overnight. If you see it blister at all you might get a vet lined up but I think it should be fine.

ToothlessTheBeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":2zendv1e said:
Sounds like he'll be O.K. Just watch that you don't leave a single loose cricket in the tank, [ check under the carpet ] they can nibble on reptiles overnight. If you see it blister at all you might get a vet lined up but I think it should be fine.

I’ve been *very* vigilant about runaway crickets after a learned they bit! I had no idea they could unroll I started reading up on all things beardie related. Ive been meaning to call my vet and see if they have a reptile expert just because I figure he’ll eventually need a check up anyways. I had planned on calling them today but work got super busy. So I’ll do it tomorrow. Thank you all for your advice! I’ve been an anxiety riddled mess all day!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH he is precious! What a little cutie pie. :D
It doesn't look like a burn but the silver spray wont hurt at all. How is he doing today?
I think he will be just fine though, just keep an eye on his tail but hopefully if it is a burn, the
silver spray should help clear it up.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom