Giving Alpurinal for Gout during Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyTurner

Original Poster
Thank you, Tracie. The swelling is going down, and she is starting to walk again some instead of dragging the back legs. I think today was her 4th day on the Metacam. I think it says use in 2-3 week increments, so he did prescribe it for only as needed for short periods. That bums me out about the Critical Care because she still won’t eat greens, but she will lick that mixture off of her snout. Let me know if there is anything else that you might recommend supplementing.
She is snuggled in for bedtime on my chest right now. I love her so darn much❤️

RockyTurner

Original Poster
Tracie, since you have helped me more than anyone else has been able to, I had a thought, a question. What do you think about my feeding her the renal support Science diet can cat food? Protein is min 6.5% and max 9.5%

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are very welcome! :D
I am happy to hear her swelling is coming down & she is walking more now also. I know,
it is frustrating to me that they put soy based & grain based products in for reptiles anyway.
While it is a good product, I don't feel it's good for those with renal or livery issues because
it places too much stress on them.
Hm, that is interesting on the cat food. What are the ingredients? How often do you plan on
giving it? You can make a home made slurry too, if you wanted to consider that. You could
blend up fresh cooked chicken or turkey in the blender, along with alfalfa powder, wheat grass
or timothy grass with squash or sweet potato until it is smooth. The alfalfa powder offers a no
purine option that has protein. You can also blend up a few greens with it also. Let me know
the ingredients of the canned food, it sounds like it would be a good option too, along with
other things, too.
I'm glad to hear he prescribed the Metacam for short periods of time.

Tracie

RockyTurner

Original Poster
So Roxy seems to be in less pain and swelling has gone down, but she is still not really using her back legs. Last night I literally got so upset over this that I cried. Her legs have started to tremble when she tries to pull them up. She does not want me to touch them. It is not a tremor and does only happen when she tries to move them. I stayed up till the wee hours researching and found an old post from last summer about a gout case where the woman was told that she should not be using Cslcium with D3. I have always used that because almost everything I read says to.
I am trying so hard to help my girl, but sometimes feel completely lost.
On a positive note, she did eat 2 of her medium horn worms. She also had some cantaloupe. I threw the Rep Cal with D3 away and ordered some without the D3. I do use Zoo Med Sun Glo MVB- changed them out last month. I also ordered “Amazing Grass Trio.” It is a powder blend of Barley, Wheat, and alfalfa, so I will use that instead of the Critical Care.
Please let me know if it sounds like I am doing the right things. She has a check up appointment next week.
Thank you. Shann and Roxy

RockyTurner

Original Poster
PLEASE HELP! If any of you have any knowledge in what to do if your dragon has way too much calcium.
I took Roxy to the vet today because her back legs seemed almost paralyzed instead of just trembling when she moved them.
Her Cacium >16. The vet did not have an explanation, but said to definitely not give anymore calcium and to try to flush her kidneys with the veggie liquid I feed her, and give lots of soaks which I already do for the gout. He also said that he did a smear when he drew her blood, and that her white blood cells showed septicemia. He said that since it is in her white blood cells, she is trying to fight it. He said that this is only the second time he has seen this in a reptile. He knows that I am super careful and keep her and her viv very clean. She did have a fecal check just a few months ago and everything looked good. He sent me home with liquid Baytril to be given once a day at .15 ML for 14 days.
He said she still may not make it and that this is complicated because of her heriditary gout.
PLEASE HELP if you have any advice. I love this lizard so much.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I replied on your new thread. I'm sure Tracie will be on soon as well, she's usually on at night.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I will take a look at your other thread too.
I have heard of too much calcium, yes. Oversupplementation can happen, & many times it's
called hypercalcemia or hypervitaminosis D. She doesn't have any eggs developing, correct?
How long has she had issues using her back legs now?
The mix of barley, alfalfa & wheat or wheatgrass. That should be healthy for her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom