Hole in toe scale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider8ait1994

Hatchling Member
For some probably relevant background here my beardie is a rescue. His original owners had him in a tank with another male and they’d fought, he had some injuries when I got him, most notable a front foot toe that seems to have been broken/dislocated and healed at an odd angle and a rear foot toe that seems to be twisted a little to one side (this is the toe this issue has occurred on).
I have noticed a few months ago that there seems to be what I can only describe as a small hole through one of the scales on this toe on the side about a half centimetre down from the claw.
He seems to be getting around ok and it doesn’t seem to be causing any discomfort. As this is my first beardie I mainly want to make sure that this isn’t anything too bad.
He has shed the scales on this toe at least twice but this hole thing remains. Does anyone know what this is and if there’s anythig I should be doing about it? I have attached a photo of this ‘hole’ for visual reference.

full

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your picture hasn't shown up here.
That's good it doesn't seem to be bothering him any. Does it look infected at all?
Sometimes through injuries, their scales heal up strangely & stay that way. A picture
would definitely help out.
If if looks like it could be infected, you can try using some raw, unpasteurized honey, or
manuka honey on it, daily to help out. Though, if the bone has healed wrong then it wont go
back to how it originally was.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hm, that is interesting! I can't say that I have seen that before, exactly. So, it hasn't gotten any
worse at all?
It doesn't appear infected in the picture. Sometimes when they shed, a scale here & there can
become different looking in shape, etc. As long as it doesn't get infected or bother him, I would
say that it should be just fine. Maybe in time, it will fill in perhaps.

Tracie

Spider8ait1994

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah I’ve been wondering that. I got him back on the 26th January this year and it’s been like this since then. Doesn’t seem to be getting bigger or changing, that I’ve noticed there doesn’t seem to be anything inside it as I’d initially wondered whether there was some sort of parasite that had abused it considering he didn’t come from the healthiest conditions.
I do make sure the area is clean and stays that way. As I said in the first post here he’s been through 2 sheds, neither of which have noticeably changed this ‘hole’.
If anything I’m curious about it as I haven’t seen or heard of this anywhere before.
I know he had been kept with a younger male in the same tank and they had fought so I’m wondering if this is some sort of old injury sustained from that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is most likely a deformed scale that may or may not heal up normally again. I honestly don't
think it's anything to worry about since it isn't infected or bothering him at all.
I have seen a few abnormalities in my time, from an injury or retained shed but nothing really
came of it but just an odd shape on the scales.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom