My Baby Bearded Dragon was Attacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
This happened yesterday when I caught two of my baby bearded dragons fighting, and before I could stop the situation one of them fell off the stick while twisting its body around in pain and keeping it's legs straight. After that, the baby couldn't move its legs anymore and that's when I began to act quickly by carefully carrying the injured baby bearded dragon out of the container and placed it into its own personal container. The other container that they were fighting in has about 3 babies now and I also have some other babies I care for, the amount of babies I have is 12 plus the injured one. Also if I touch the baby's legs the baby will start to point its head up, then open its mouth wide open while shaking, like if it were screaming for help. Right now though the injured baby is resting and we can't afford to take him to the vet, so I came on here to seek help until we're able to take the baby to the vet.

Here's Pictures of The Injured Baby

101887-4036911675.jpg

101887-3998026988.jpg

101887-2571383142.jpg

The Attacker

101887-460281545.jpg

The Baby's Setup:

I Only Placed a Few Sticks, Rocks and a Small Blanket for Now Until The Baby Recovers

101887-6685377266.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Unfortunately this happens often when dragons are housed together. Do you see any
visible signs of injury, points where there were bite marks, etc? If you have any antibiotic
ointment, you can put that on the affected areas. How is he doing today?
All you can really do at this time until you can get him to the vet is to keep him separated
from the others & keep him stress free as much as possible.

Tracie

BlackBones333

Original Poster
Hi, and thank you for the reply!

They're no signs of injuries or bite marks on the baby's legs, it appears that the legs are either broken or sprained pretty badly, also the baby is sleeping right now and seems to be well since it is in a stable position. If I were to try to touch the baby in any way, this makes him/her uncomfortable. I'm worried that the baby is not eating or drinking at all. If I were to spray the baby, it appears to be screaming while bending its head back and looking up.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little guy, this is so sad. :( Can you post a pic of your set up ? I think this baby was either hurt in the fall [ which is pretty rare since most baby bins are not very tall ] or already has a neurological problem made worse by the situation. I've raised many clutches of babies and fighting usually just ends in a body part being bitten, but never a neurological problem. Just wondering what his true problem is. Those are also signs of ADV [ atadenovirus ]

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good for him now so he can get around in his condition. Do you have pics of the set up that the accident happened in ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your baby doing, any improvements?
The tank is fine, it will help to keep him from hurting himself further. Has he eaten?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
To hydrate him you can just drip water on his snout, this won't cause the severe reaction that spraying him does. And you can try squishing a bug so the guts come out and rubbing it lightly on his snout, that sometimes gets them to eat. I sadly do think that he may not make it though, something very serious going on that's unrelated to a little fight. Babies get bit, jump + fling themselves across their tanks all the time. I hope I'm wrong though and that he can recover.

BlackBones333

Original Poster
Hey guys and here is a small update on the baby dragon:

I've checked on the baby this morning and I saw that it has moved from its original spot, that's a good thing, but I'm hoping that the baby will do a full recovery sooner or later. One of us thinks that the baby might recover within a few months or more, so I'm hoping for the best. Also I thank you all for your advice and responses, it helps me to build up more confidence to keep going and I really appreciate it and will even more if you continue to do so, thank you! I'll try my hardest to give this baby dragon the best care I can and try to keep you guys updated!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm certainly hoping for the best possible outcome for the little guy. Have you tried the smashed cricket yet ? You can also get some Repashy grub pie, very nutritious + lots of beardies love it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great to hear the baby moved a little bit, how is he/she looking?
Be sure that you are keeping him around 80 or so overnight, to help boost the immune
system while he is recovering.
Keep us posted on his progress.

Tracie

BlackBones333

Original Poster
The baby dragon is becoming a little more active than usual now and earlier ate a cricket. Finally the baby dragon is finally showing signs of life!

Pics of The Baby Dragon - Date: 11/6/2018 - 8:24

101887-4639455872.jpg

101887-4115931112.jpg

101887-4947131011.jpg

101887-6282059504.jpg

101887-1820042646.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am happy to hear your baby is doing better. It will probably take some time for him to get to
100% again, after a traumatic experience. It's a great sign that he ate a cricket! :D
Please do keep us updated on his progress.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom